Building your community
What is involved?
Across the Social Housing sector, many organisations are under real pressure to deliver more for less. Freeths’ unique combination of expertise and in-depth experience means we can provide you with an innovative solution to drive efficiency and quality, while reducing cost. Our highly rated Social Housing team advises on all aspects of housing law, using a seamless combination of specialists to deliver the right solution for you.
We can advise you on subjects including Affordable Housing tenures and requirements, Governance & Regulation, Housing and Asset Management, Nominations and Acquisition & Disposals.
Why choose Freeths?
- We have in depth transactional expertise in Social Housing having worked for many providers for many years
- We are commercially-minded and good value for money
- You can trust us to know where you’re coming from, given our experience
Our Real Estate team is highly ranked by clients’ guide to the legal profession, Chambers and Partners, with a number of lawyers who are ranked leaders in their field. So when you are looking for a service that offers you real solutions built on outstanding expertise, rather than just legal advice, talk to our team.
Some of our team have been on the board of, or worked in, social housing organisations. With over 100 years’ combined experience of acting for the social housing sector, we have a real understanding of the operational issues, aims, aspirations and challenges you may be facing.
Members of our team have presented to national housing bodies/organisations including the National Housing Federation and Building Research Housing Group and to a number of registered providers.
Social Housing Lawyers
0845 050 3273
0845 077 9639
0845 050 3634
0845 050 3635
0845 077 9657
0845 073 8394
0845 050 3613
0845 404 4119
0845 274 6860
0845 274 6900
0845 274 6923
0845 274 6821
0845 050 3628
0845 050 3682
0845 274 6862
Freeths enjoy new entries and improved rankings in the Legal 500News 19th Oct 2017
Housing White Paper Fixing our broken housing marketArticles 7th Mar 2017
"At last, a service that is personalised and responsive."
(Black Country Housing Group)
"...a one stop shop solution giving us a value for money service."
"Their services have been of the highest quality and value for money. I have no hesitation in recommending Freeths Solicitors."
(Nottingham Community Housing Association)
"...Freeths provides proactive, focus and practical advice, striking a balance between the requirements of managers in the dynamic environment of social housing and consideration of the challenges of employment issues of the public sector."
"...mastery and knowledge of housing law is first class..."
One client enthuses: "I always feel like my work is important to Freeths, which is how you like to feel as a client. For me, they are the best in the region in terms of their level of detail and their attitude towards me as a client." A source adds: "They always get back to us, keep us updated and are proactive when dealing with problems."
(Chambers & Partners, 2019)
- Acting for Midland Heart on the acquisition of a site for land and build through a stage/monthly payment development agreement from Flightpath Limited. This was for development of 18 affordable housing units and required specific advice on the structure of the development agreement (combination of stage payments and monthly valuations) and the provision of collateral warranties from the Contractor, Sub-contractors and Professional Team.
- Working with Balfour Beatty Group Limited, the grant of 6 separate head leases, following variation of a 2011 Development Agreement, and provision of a care home via a separate JCT Contract. The project included a major refurbishment of an existing building and construction of 2 new blocks, significantly increases the social housing retirement dwelling provision on the site.
- Providing advice to a local authority in connection with obtaining possession of a property on the basis of non-occupation.
- Acted in the formation of a joint venture between the development arm of a registered provider and a local developer in the acquisition of land on the banks of the River Trent. This is for the construction of private and social housing with the social housing element being sold the registered provider on market terms. The profit generated by the development of private housing is being passed to the charitable registered provider.
- Acted for a registered provider in the purchase on a leasehold basis of part of a former laundry site. He is using the leasehold structure to eliminate risk arising from possible contamination of the underlying aquifer by the historic site use.
- Acting on behalf of a local authorities and registered social landlords in connection with a large number of housing disrepair claims.
- Acting for a purely-affordable developer on a conditional back-to-back purchase and sale to a housing association. The transaction was at golden brick, with a linked JCT. This is a transaction structure that Freeths has utilised many times, on behalf of landowners, developers and housing associations.
- Acting for Registered Providers of Social Housing in acquiring sites for development and acquiring units of affordable housing from house builders.
- Advising Nottingham Community Housing Association and Greensquare group Limited on affordable housing terms contained in section 106 agreements and negotiates deeds of variation where required.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014