Pre & Postnuptial Agreements
Protecting your assets
What is involved?
Marriage is a significant milestone in any person’s life, however many people worry about protecting their assets before they tie the knot. Unfortunately, it is common for many relationships to breakdown over time, so it’s important for a couple to have a plan in place if this does happen.
This is particularly important if one person has significantly more wealth than the other, or if one of you has been married before and has children from a previous marriage.
A pre or post-nuptial agreement is a great option and can help ease any worries you may have about preserving your wealth; especially when marrying or entering a civil partnership. Although it is not automatically binding, the courts will take the documents into account on any future divorce and well drafted documents are being upheld by judges where they feel the outcome is fair in all the circumstances.
It is advisable to enter into an agreement well in advance of the ‘big day’ and usually at least three months beforehand. Bear in mind that before an agreement can be signed, it has to be prepared and considered, and both people must give each other full and frank disclosure of their finances. This will take approximately eight weeks, and both parties to the agreement need their own independent solicitor.
Financial uncertainty is one of the most stressful elements of any divorce. A pre or post-nuptial agreement can be a useful tool for couples wishing to reduce this uncertainty and their legal costs upon any subsequent separation or divorce.
Why choose Freeths?
- We are ranked in the top tier by both the Legal 500 and Chambers for family law advice
- Our nationally renowned family lawyers can advise on all issues relating to pre and post-nuptial agreements
- We offer particular expertise in advising clients on how to protect their wealth and valuable assets
- We will also consider where the creating a trust or a family investment business might be right for your particular circumstances
- We will discuss the agreement in a non-confrontation way and tailor it to meet your needs and objectives
Call our friendly, nationally renowned family team to find out how we can help you.
Alternatively complete the form below:
Our Pre & Postnuptial Agreements Legal Team
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014