"Iain Davis is exceptionally knowledgeable and capable, does not waste time but cracks on with work and gets things done quickly to a very high standard."
(The Legal 500, 2020)
Iain specialises in agricultural and rural work, acting for farmers, landowners and landed estates.
He is the head of the Real Estate department in Oxford as well as heading up the Agricultural team generally. The agricultural property team has 4 partners and 7 other specialist lawyers. The team is ranked in the top tier of both the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners directories. Iain is recommended as a leader in the field by both publications.
Iain’s work ranges from the acquisition, development and disposal of landed estates, farms and bare agricultural land, to advice on Agricultural Holdings Act tenancies and farm business tenancies. He specialises in the drafting and negotiation of strategic land option and promotion agreements, as well as collaboration agreements between landowners.
Iain qualified in 1997 and was made a partner in 2001. He is a member of the Agricultural Law Association and Country Landowners Association.
Iain is listed as a Leading Individual in both Chambers (2020 edition) and Legal 500 (2020 edition).
Iain acts for landowners and landed estates on development agreements such as Promotion Agreements, Option Agreements, Hybrid Agreements, as well as Collaboration and Consortium Agreements. He is regularly invited to give lectures and seminars on the topic (to the RICS amongst others).
- Promotion Agreement covering over 450 acres, together with a complex Collaboration Agreement between neighbouring landowners.
- Promotion Agreement covering 160 acres in Oxfordshire for a farmer client, involving difficult title and tenancy issues.
- Promotion Agreement over 313 acres of farm land in Sussex.
- A hybrid Option/Promotion Agreement over 45 acres for an Oxford College incorporating provisions allowing part of the site to be sold on the open market and part to be acquired by the developer.
Farms & Estates
Iain is a leading agricultural property practitioner, acting for some of the largest landed estates in the area. His work covers the acquisition and disposal of farms and landed estates as well as Agricultural Holdings Act and farm business tenancy advice. His team covers the whole gamut of property advice for the agricultural sector.
- Acquisition of a complex and diverse 480 acre unregistered landed estate in Wales with 10.5 miles of fishing, 5 properties and over 3,200 acres of sporting rights. This was acquired for £4.9 million, with complex tenancy, vat and employment elements. Contracts were exchanged within one month of instructions being received.
- Sale of land in Pembrokeshire Coast National Park for development of a Centre Parcs style holiday village.
- The acquisition of the Kiddington Estate for a sum in excess of £23 million. Including 1,500 acres of agricultural land, some 35 estate houses and cottages (including the majority of the village of Kiddington), commercial business premises totalling over 6,000 square feet, as well as an in hand farming enterprise, tenanted farm and woodland.
- Option Agreement for over 195 acres of farmland to a national house builder, including the usual minimum price, planning obligations, equalisation provisions and strong participation provisions for the landowner.
- Agricultural Law Association
- Country Landowners Association
“I can’t begin to thank you for your tenacity with this whole process! You have been just amazing and a joy to deal with.”(Client)
“A first-class practitioner…who brings bags of enthusiasm to the agricultural sector.”(The Legal 500, 2016)
“Much admired for his ‘extremely fair, practical, and straightforward approach’.”(Chambers & Partners, 2016)
“Clients prize Iain Davis’s dedication to ensuring their transactions are completed.”(Chambers & Partners, 2015)
“Iain Davis ‘is first class on option agreements’.”(The Legal 500, 2015)
“Iain Davis leads the six-partner team and stands out for his knowledge of housing developments.”(The Legal 500, 2016)
“He is very proactive when it comes to putting things through, he sees things from a different angle and always gives options, and he’s a very versatile lawyer.”(Chambers & Partners, 2017)
“Freeths LLP attracts praise for its ‘excellent grasp of agricultural law’, with clients singling out practice head Iain Davis ‘approachable, very knowledgeable and supremely efficient’.”(The Legal 500, 2019)
Iain Davis deals with a variety of agricultural law matters. He advises clients on the sale and purchase of rural property and agricultural land. He also handles agricultural tenancies, and option and promotion agreements. “He has a good commercial view of what one is trying to achieve,” comments one interviewee, adding: “He is very approachable and very good at explaining things.”(Chambers & Partners, 2019)
“Iain Davis is assisted most brilliantly by Laura Czapski I can happily make mention of their fantastic individual contributions to my transaction. Their professional expertise combined with good manners and common sense is an unbeatable recipe for success!”(The Legal 500, 2020)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014