It's in our DNA
What is involved?
If you want a cross-disciplinary team with a track record of working for local authorities then look no further. From complex and innovative urban regeneration and major infrastructure schemes, to shared services, establishing corporate structures, strategic partnering and outsourcing, we cover all of major service areas.
We also offer a variety of specialist legal support services including employment and HR, dispute resolution (including JR), town planning, highways and compulsory purchase, members’ conduct, guardianship, governance, local government powers and duties the conduct of prosecutions and other regulatory work.
We are appointed to a number of nationally recognised legal frameworks including EM Lawshare, North East Procurement Organisation and the London Boroughs Legal Alliance. We also act for over 100 local authorities across the country from Plymouth in the South West to Tyneside in the North East.
Why choose us?
- With over 60 specialist lawyers, many of whom have worked in-house at local authorities, we understand the issues you face and can often identify solutions already applied elsewhere
- We will keep up-to-date with the latest knowledge of new initiatives at a local and national level, so that you are able to proactively support legal developments, rather than reacting to them
- We offer a variety of training and other benefits, helping your organisation operate as cost-effectively as it can, but also ensure you have the tools you need to do your job well
- As a firm, we pride ourselves on adopting pragmatic approaches to solving legal issues
With over 25 years’ experience in the public sector, Freeths have the experience and strength in depth to meet your needs. Call us now to see how our dedicated Local Government team can help you.
Local Government Lawyers
0845 050 3273
0845 166 6300
0845 128 6958
0845 050 3203
0845 077 9610
0845 030 5759
0845 404 1718
0845 077 9646
0845 404 1739
0845 073 8394
0845 030 5734
0845 272 5715
0845 050 3664
0845 050 3600
0845 274 6900
0845 050 3627
0845 166 6270
0845 077 9560
0845 166 6347
0845 274 6818
0845 128 6957
Local Government Real Estate Workshop – Birmingham – 12 July 2019Past Events 20th May 2019
Local Government Real Estate Workshop – London – 5 JulyPast Events 20th May 2019
Local Government Real Estate Workshop – Nottingham – 1 JulyPast Events 20th May 2019
"Freeths continues to win a large amount of work as a panel member of EM Lawshare, advising 64 local authorities in the region alone. The firm assists authorities on everything from employment to environmental issues. The experienced Nathan Holden heads the practice."
(The Legal 500, 2019)
"Broad strength on real estate and employment matters. Notable for its work on joint ventures between local authorities and groups in the private sector."
(Chambers & Partners, 2017)
"The team were able to provide comprehensive advice to us and handle competently all the issues and challenges that arose. We felt that the team understood our needs and reflected these in the negotiations."
"The team is knowledgeable, helpful and quick to respond" another client commented that "They are flexible and responsive, good engagement with both officers and members."
(The Legal 500, 2020)
Sources describe the team as "thorough and truly excellent." A commentator reports: "They were very good and worked really hard with us collaboratively," adding: "The people I have come across there have been friendly and really pleasant." Clients say the team is "responsive, accessible and good value for money."
(Chambers & Partners, 2020)
- Advising Milton Keynes Council on the “historic” acquisition of £32 million of land and property assets from the Homes & Communities Agency (HCA).
- Advising Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council on two major town centre regeneration projects (£75 million), including making and promotion of CPOs.
- Carrying out due diligence for significant income-generating investment purchases for a number of local authorities.
- Creating and vetting new Governance agreements for a District Council.
- Carrying out complex misconduct investigations on behalf of Local Authorities, both code based and under internal procedures.
- We are instructed by a large unitary authority to act as Court of Protection deputy for a number of their service users.
- Advising a Fire and Rescue Authority on a dispute with a building contractor relating to the refurbishment of a Fire Station.
- Advising a Council on the disputed use of land for unauthorised agricultural uses and the subsequent arbitration process.
- Creating Cambridge Investment Partnership, a JV LLP Involving Cambridge County Council to ensure publicly owned sites are better utilised to provide affordable housing (£100 million).
- Advising on the outsourcing development and operation of a new “sports village” for a District Council including a local FC training facility and grandstand, Rugby Pitch, Multi-use Games Area, Bar/cafe and Gym.
- Advising a Borough Council on IT aspects of contract and IT documents for the strategic outsourcing of entire ICT infrastructure and print functions for a 7 year term.
- Training Local Authorities on Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000.
- Advising a Local Planning Authority in a prosecution for breach of a planning Enforcement Notice, including acting as trial advocate. Successfully securing conviction, resulting in a significant fine and a full award of costs.
- Advising Warrington Borough Council on 5 academy lease transfers. Involving a complex, number of issues including formal and informal occupation rights and first registration of unregistered title.
- Undertaking an investigation instigated by a Chief Executive following serious allegations against senior managers attracting media coverage, involving 29 witnesses (including Councillors and Trade Union representatives).
- Acting for a County Council in a 7-day sex discrimination and unfair dismissal claim, successfully defended and obtained substantial costs order. Undertook own advocacy ensuring continuity.
- Defending three linked claims for redundancy payments on behalf of a local authority.
- Advising Milton Keynes Council on planning and infrastructure associated with the Eastern Expansion Area of Milton Keynes.
- Proving legal support for Staffordshire Moorlands DC planning committees, including attending Chairman’s briefings and preparing committee papers.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014