What is involved?
Working for the public sector raises both complex and unique challenges. Our highly experienced and knowledgeable lawyers have the skills you need to guide you in understanding and then navigating this complex world of law and procedure. We work across the public sector with a focus on Local Authorities (including Combined Authorities), Education providers and Health, including NHS Trusts. We are pleased to be recognised by the Legal 500 and Chambers, with a ranking in all of the UK regions where we have a presence.
We cover the full spectrum of legal work from advising on multi-million-pound regeneration schemes to grants for a community project. Our expertise covers the full breadth of all of the legal issues you are likely to face everything from multi-party investment partnerships to sensitive employment matters.
Why choose Freeths?
- Our specialist lawyers have over 25 years’ experience of working for public sector
- Many of our team have worked in-house or held non-executive positions in local authorities, NHS Trusts, school governing bodies and educational institutions
- We are actively involved in working with over 200 public sector bodies which means we are across the latest developments in the sector
- We offer a variety of training and other benefits to help public sector organisations operate at their best
- You can rely on us to provide honest, jargon-free advice and to offer practical solutions
We understand the problems faced by the public sector during these tough economic times. You can trust us to help you achieve your objectives in a cost-effective way. Call our Public Sector lawyers to find out more.
We regularly assist with regeneration schemes, infrastructure, projects, planning, governance advice and compulsory purchase. In addition, we advise on establishing corporate structures, strategic partnering, subsidy control and procurement compliance advice and much more. Our considerable expertise in the Education sector includes advising on academy conversions, governance issues and practical issues such as construction.
We are well-placed to offer the full range of services you may need, drawing on a wealth of experience and knowledge gained over the years. We can help you to stay one step ahead, by sharing the latest know-how on new initiatives at both the local and national level. We pride ourselves on a highly responsive approach and are committed to providing straight-talking and pragmatic support where your interests are central to everything we do. Your peace of mind is our goal. Give us a call to find out more.
Who we work with
- EM Lawshare
- Crown Commercial Services Public Sector Legal Services
- Kent County Council (KCS Procurement)
- Cornwall Council
- Orbis Public Law
- Surrey Consortium of local authorities
- North East Procurement Organisation
- North West Legal Consortium
- A number of London boroughs
- Nottingham Trent University
- University of Nottingham
- Loughborough University
- Oxford Brookes University
- Trinity College, Oxford
- University of Portsmouth
- Chesterfield College
- Birmingham Metropolitan College
- East Sussex College
- NHS Shared Services
- NHS Property Services
Public Sector Lawyers
Regional Lead for Real Estate in the Midlands – Partner in the Housebuilding & Strategic Land Team
0207 440 5841
0345 050 3273
0345 030 5767
0345 050 3676
0345 026 7904
0345 404 4171
0345 073 8559
0345 274 6811
0345 077 9646
0345 128 7974
0345 166 6274
0345 017 1122
0345 272 5715
0345 128 6997
0345 274 6900
0345 274 6819
0345 050 3611
0345 050 3627
0345 017 1345
0345 077 9567
0345 274 6818
0345 166 6304
0345 166 6277
0345 077 9609
0345 404 4142
0345 404 4175
0345 274 6821
0345 128 7961
0345 030 5728
0345 077 9608
0345 050 3682
0345 017 6020
0345 272 5720
0345 073 8396
0345 128 7966
0345 404 1725
Preparing for Challenge – Consistency in CollectionsArticles 27th Jul 2023
Decarbonisation through ProcurementArticles 29th Mar 2022
Freeths Sector ShowcasePast Events 14th Feb 2022
"The team were able to provide comprehensive advice to us and handle competently all the issues and challenges that arose. We felt that the team understood our needs and reflected these in the negotiations."
"Really committed to getting difficult deals done."
"The services provided have met our requirements and have been delivered to agreed timetables. We have found Freeths' staff to be capable and responsive, with an understanding of the issues affecting the Higher Education sector. Their assistance in lease negotiation matters with difficult tenants deserves particular mention and the rapport built between us and Freeths in these matters has proved to be vital in the protection of the University’s interests."
"It is difficult to recall all of the very significant transactions that Freeths have helped us with but they have included one highly complex commercial transaction which was successfully completed to all parties’ satisfaction, to a ridiculously short timescale."
‘The lawyers are very knowledgeable and experienced in their respective fields and brought new and innovative ways of dealing with the issues.’
(The Legal 500, 2024)
"Strength in depth in quite a technical field (telecoms). Good understanding of how local authority projects work e.g. how seemingly minor problems can actually escalate quickly in a local authority context."
(The Legal 500, 2022)
A Public Sector client said "We’ve found members of the Freeths team very willing to engage with us and have constructive discussions.". Another client reported that "Nathan Holden and Gillian Roberts are a pleasure to deal with. Gillian’s pragmatic support, constructive challenge and good humour are particularly valuable."
(The Legal 500, 2021)
“The team at Freeths are always available and receptive to talking through issues and planning ways forward.” reports once source. Another interviewee praised the team: “Freeths are a responsive team who are always to hand. They have thorough knowledge in local government law and procedure which is key to providing an all encompassing service.”
(The Legal 500, 2021)
"The team is knowledgeable, helpful and quick to respond."
(The Legal 500, 2020)
- Creation of a new jointly-owned company to provide Building Control Services across Derbyshire on behalf of a group of District Councils.
- Advising Milton Keynes Council on the historic acquisition of £32 million of land and property assets from the Homes & Communities Agency (HCA).
- Advising Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council on two major town centre regeneration projects (£75 million), including making and promotion of CPOs.
- Advising and representing NHS organisation in an unfair dismissal and disability discrimination claim.
- Advising on a Section 2 NHS Act review into the criminal activity of a GP who had abused patients.
- Advising Cambridge City Council on creation of the Cambridge Investment Partnership, a new public-private JV to provide a range of market and social housing, leveraging in a range of public and private funding.
- Carrying out due diligence for significant income-generating investment purchases for a number of local authorities.
- Creating and vetting new Governance agreements and drafting a revised contribution for a District Council.
- Carrying out complex misconduct investigations on behalf of Local Authorities, both ‘Code of Conduct’ based and under internal procedures.
- Advising Loughborough University on the “LUil” Project – a strategic project to procure a range of services to enable the smooth running of a new university campus – the Loughborough University Campus in Stratford, East London, a specialised site which will devote itself exclusively to the provision of taught Masters / PHD degrees for an international cohort of students.
- Landau Forte Charitable Trust has 600 staff over 6 different sites. We were able to offer a cloud-based solution to provide vertical support across its entire organisation.
- Converting a group of PFI schools into members of a Multi-Academy Trust.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014