What is involved?
The public sector is an area presenting unique challenges. Our lawyers have the experience and skills to help you, having been involved in many successful public sector projects. They work closely with a range of local authorities and education providers. In fact, our specialist Local Government team is ranked first in most of the regions in where it operates, by the Legal 500.
Whether you need advice for a council project, a school or a new community project, you can depend on our in-depth expertise. Our team can assist you on everything from multi-party investment partnerships to sensitive employment matters. We also advise a wide range of public sector healthcare clients including NHS Trusts. With our extensive knowledge of the regulatory regime, we know what could affect you.
Why choose Freeths?
- Our specialist lawyers have over 25 years’ experience of working closely with the public sector
- Many of our team have worked in-house or held non-executive positions in local authorities, NHS Trusts, school governing bodies and educational institutions
- Active involvement with over 80 public health bodies, meaning that we are at the forefront of what is happening in the sector
- We offer a variety of training and other benefits to help public sector organisations operate at their best
- You can rely on us to provide honest, jargon-free advice and to offer practical solutions
We understand the problems faced by the Education and Health & Care sectors during this tough economic climate. You can trust us to help your next project to flourish, while assisting you to be cost-effective too. Call our Public Sector lawyers to find out more.
We regularly assist with urban regeneration schemes, infrastructure, planning, governance advice and compulsory purchase. In addition we advise on establishing corporate structures, strategic partnering, state aid compliance advice and much more. Our considerable expertise in the Education sector includes advising on academy conversions, governance issues and practical issues such as construction.
We are well-placed to offer you a full spectrum of services, drawing on a wealth of experience over many years. We can help you to stay one step ahead, by sharing the latest knowledge of new initiatives at both a local and national level. From our readily available team, to our commitment to being straight-talking and pragmatic, we can give your organisation legal peace of mind. Give us a call to find out more.
Who we work with
- EM Lawshare
- Surrey Consortium of local authorities
- West Yorkshire legal framework
- North East Procurement Organisation
- London Boroughs of Havering
- Newham, Greenwich, Camden and Redbridge Cambridge City Council
- Leeds City Council
- Milton Keynes Council
- De Montfort University
- Leicester College
- Leicester University
- Loughborough University
- Nottingham Trent University
- Oakham School
- Repton School Trust
- University of Nottingham
- Aston University
- Department of Education and British Universities Finance Directors Group
- NHS Shared Services (with over 80 participating health and care bodies)
- NHS Property Services
- Community Health Partnerships
- NHS Commercial Alliance
Public Sector Lawyers
0845 050 3273
0845 050 3676
0845 404 4175
0845 128 7961
0845 404 4143
Managing Partner - London
0845 050 3203
0845 274 6811
0845 077 9646
0845 030 5734
0845 017 1122
0845 272 5715
0845 050 3664
Partner & Head of Competition
0845 128 6997
0845 274 6900
0845 274 6819
0845 404 1727
0845 050 3611
0845 050 3627
Dr Michael Servian
0777 629 5001
0845 017 1345
0845 077 9560
0845 166 6347
0845 274 6818
0845 128 6957
0845 030 5739
0845 050 3682
Freeths appointed to Crown Commercial Services panelNews 27th Nov 2018
Children’s Social Care: Alternative Delivery ModelsArticles 1st May 2018
Freeths enjoy new entries and improved rankings in the Legal 500News 19th Oct 2017
"Freeths continues to win a large amount of work as a panel member of EM Lawshare, advising 64 local authorities in the region alone. The firm assists authorities on everything from employment to environmental issues. The experienced Nathan Holden heads the practice."
(The Legal 500)
"Broad strength on real estate and employment matters. Notable for its work on joint ventures between local authorities and groups in the private sector."
(Chambers & Partners)
"The team were able to provide comprehensive advice to us and handle competently all the issues and challenges that arose. We felt that the team understood our needs and reflected these in the negotiations."
"Really committed to getting difficult deals done."
"The services provided have met our requirements and have been delivered to agreed timetables. We have found Freeths' staff to be capable and responsive, with an understanding of the issues affecting the Higher Education sector. Their assistance in lease negotiation matters with difficult tenants deserves particular mention and the rapport built between us and Freeths in these matters has proved to be vital in the protection of the University’s interests."
"It is difficult to recall all of the very significant transactions that Freeths have helped us with but they have included one highly complex commercial transaction which was successfully completed to all parties’ satisfaction, to a ridiculously short timescale."
"Chris Holwell, Philippa Dempster and Stephen Pearson are all 'personable and well respected'. The group acts for an impressive number of universities and schools, and 'produces solutions and answers'."
(The Legal 500)
"Overall they are excellent," says a client; "very prompt, with outstanding depth of knowledge and very personable."
(Chambers & Partners, 2019)
- Creation of a new jointly-owned company to provide Building Control Services across Derbyshire on behalf of a group of District Councils.
- Advising Milton Keynes Council on the historic acquisition of £32 million of land and property assets from the Homes & Communities Agency (HCA).
- Advising Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council on two major town centre regeneration projects (£75 million), including making and promotion of CPOs.
- Advising and representing NHS organisation in an unfair dismissal and disability discrimination claim.
- Advising on a Section 2 NHS Act review into the criminal activity of a GP who had abused patients.
- Advising Cambridge City Council on creation of the Cambridge Investment Partnership, a new public-private JV to provide a range of market and social housing, leveraging in a range of public and private funding.
- Carrying out due diligence for significant income-generating investment purchases for a number of local authorities.
- Creating and vetting new Governance agreements and drafting a revised contribution for a District Council.
- Carrying out complex misconduct investigations on behalf of Local Authorities, both ‘Code of Conduct’ based and under internal procedures.
- Advising Loughborough University on the “LUil” Project – a strategic project to procure a range of services to enable the smooth running of a new university campus – the Loughborough University Campus in Stratford, East London, a specialised site which will devote itself exclusively to the provision of taught Masters / PHD degrees for an international cohort of students.
- Landau Forte Charitable Trust has 600 staff over 6 different sites. We were able to offer a cloud-based solution to provide vertical support across its entire organisation.
- Converting a group of PFI schools into members of a Multi-Academy Trust.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014