Claims against Professionals
If someone has let you down
What is involved?
We have a nationally regarded dispute management team with experts in the field of professional negligence and related issues. We regularly advise businesses and individuals, as well as professionals and their insurers, on complex claims involving a wide variety of professions all around the UK.
We deal with cases involving professionals in the following fields:
- Legal professions – claims against solicitors, barristers, licensed conveyancers, legal executives and will writers
- Property professions – claims against architects, surveyors, engineers or project managers
- Financial professions – claims against accountants, auditors, brokers and financial advisers
- Other professions – claims against others such as IT consultants or environmental consultants
If you are a business or individual and are concerned that your professional advisor has been negligent or otherwise failed to act as they should, we can help you to understand what happened, what should have happened and whether you have a claim. We can provide a cost-effective and high quality service to help you through a claim.
Call our Professional Negligence lawyers to find out more.
Why choose Freeths?
- Many of our lawyers are recognised by The Legal 500 and Chambers as experts in this field
- Where necessary, the team can also draw on the expertise of colleagues in our other practice areas
- Our in-depth experience in handling claims allows us to guide you efficiently through the process
- We will actively manage your case and resolve it as quickly as possible
If you are a professional facing a claim, or concerned about the risk of a claim, we can help you to assess your position and respond appropriately, while meeting your professional and insurance obligations.
If you are in the insurance sector, whether as a broker or insurer, we provide specialist expertise on all aspects of claims handling, litigation and policy coverage advice.
Claims against Professionals Lawyers
0845 077 9640
0186 578 1058
0186 578 1020
0845 128 7972
01865 781 054
0186 578 1021
0845 634 1743
0186 578 1014
0845 050 3698
Managing Partner - Oxford
0186 578 1055
0115 935 1860
0845 077 9636
0186 578 1061
0845 274 6904
0845 274 6924
0845 274 6875
Head of Risk & Compliance
0845 274 6921
0845 077 9582
0186 578 1057
01865 781 023
0845 128 6991
0845 073 8583
"Freeths LLP has a very good depth of knowledge in the area of professional negligence and the difficulties that can arise with various parties."
(The Legal 500, 2017)
"Sarah is praised by sources for having 'shown good judgment on what the issues were and how things were going', is 'a fine and measured litigator', is a 'very skilled and very thorough lawyer' and has an 'excellent attention to detail and a strong pedigree'."
(Chambers & Partners, 2018)
"Clare, please accept my immense thanks for all your help, and belief that it was possible to succeed against a difficult opponent. You did so well to keep me motivated."
"Charles Powell is held in high esteem for his ability in areas such as professional negligence, partnership disputes and planning. Sources praise his 'great combination of politely questioning people and being very imaginative when it comes to finding solutions'. One interviewee added: 'He's very good at finding the middle ground. For a good sound commercial mediator I'd always have him on my list'."
(Chambers & Partners, 2015)
"Richard’s clients' comment of his 'intellect' saying he is 'quick to grasp facts, financial matters and legal issues alike' and that 'He is not only fiercely strategic and crucially proactive but also objective and pragmatic' and he 'provides unerring confidence to our board members whenever legal advice is required ensuring business decisions are taken from a trusted legal position'."
"Established practice with extensive experience handling claims on behalf of both defendants and claimants. Strong focus on dealing with matters involving solicitors and barristers, while also offering expertise on issues relating to property and financial services."
(Chambers & Partners, 2018)
"Freeths LLP has 'a very good depth of knowledge in the area of professional negligence and the difficulties that can arise with various parties'. The team handles a mix of claimant and defendant matters in the financial and property sectors, and also has strong expertise in emerging professions and D&O liability insurance."
(The Legal 500, 2017)
"Freeths LLP's professional negligence practice is praised for its 'clear understanding of facts and legal issues, sensible legal advice, and well-drafted legal documents'."
(The Legal 500, 2019)
- Handling a high value multi-party dispute arising out of problems with the construction of a basement. The case involved claims of negligence against two of the professional team, as well as claims for defective workmanship and materials against the contractor. The claims were settled at mediation.
- Dealing with High Court litigation over alleged mortgage fraud involving property in Mayfair, London. The lender bank was making very substantial claims against the surveyors and solicitors who had provided professional advice in the course of the transactions. The case was settled on satisfactory terms prior to trial.
- Defending a complex claim against solicitors over their alleged mishandling of a potential claim for medical negligence against an NHS Trust. The case against our client was dismissed by the trial judge and the appeal was defeated.
- Mediating a professional negligence claim arising out of a personal injury action after a road traffic accident. The matter was high value and involved complex issues on liability, causation and quantum. The parties reached a settlement at mediation.
- Advising on negligence claims against accountants and actuaries, where there have been errors and inadequate advice in relation to diverse matters, including investments, company accounts and pension fund structures.
- Advising a leading insurance company on policy coverage in two related professional indemnity claims. The underlying circumstances were potentially suspicious and there were concerns about prejudice to the insurer caused by late notification. With the benefit of our advice, the insurer was able to settle one claim and refer the other to a different insurer for settlement.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014