Ben assists the partners and senior lawyers in the team providing a cost effective resource, negotiating and drafting the necessary contract documentation on a variety of construction projects.
Ben has advised and negotiated on a range of professional consultants’ appointments and warranties, acting for public and private sector clients engaging them, as well as for funders. Ben understands the issues from all angles and is able to give pragmatic, real-world advice resulting in documents which all parties can accept.
Ben has negotiated and advised employers on market reality amendments to standard form building contracts on a variety of developments. These include new build developments, refurbishments and extensions to existing structures across a variety of sectors. Ben is an associate and is based in Nottingham.
- Ben has acted for a development manager carrying out a significant regeneration project under a development management agreement in partnership with a local authority. Ben worked to ensure that the development manager procured the appointment of the professional team in accordance with its obligations under the development agreement. Ben negotiated the forms of appointments and collateral warranties for the professional team and managed the provision of the required collateral warranties to the local authority.
- Acted for an employer in the retail sector developing a sizeable commercial development. Ben negotiated the documentation with the professional team and contractor ensuring that the legal terms protect the employer’s interests and were acceptable to both the funder and tenant.
- Has significant experience of advising a large multi-disciplinary professional consultancy practice on the terms of its contracts of appointment.
- Supports the firm’s real estate practice in providing construction documentation due diligence for the firm’s investment fund clients. Such projects include the development of a new build retail park and the purchase of an existing retail park.
- Assisted senior colleagues and provided a cost effective resource on a number of city centre student accommodation developments.
- Provides legal and commercial advice on dispute management and avoidance to the specialist sub-contractor market.
- Assists in the preparation of both adjudication proceedings and mediations in construction contract disputes.
Ben has experience of advising a variety of educational establishments as they undertake development projects including new builds and extensions of existing buildings.
- Ben has advised a school on a significant extension project to its existing building together with the demolition of existing structures. He advised on, negotiated, and procured the professional appointments and building contract to the approval of the school’s funder.
- Advising an Academy Trust as it procures the development of new classrooms led by a local authority.
- Advised a university to assist in negotiating the terms of professional consultant’s appointments as part of the university’s tender process.
Ben has experience of advising funders on a variety of projects within the health sector.
- Ben has provided practical real world advice to the funder of a care home development where the employer wished to alter the phasing of the development and carry out additional works.
- Ben has advised the funder of a GP led health centre development ensuring that the funder had adequate warranty protection.
- Ben has advised on appropriate amendments to standard form building contracts to protect employers within the health sector refurbishing exiting facilities.
- Ben has advised a joint venture client on the procurement of care home scheme negotiating and agreeing the construction documents with interested parties including a tenant and purchaser of the completed development.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014