Giving the right support
Who we are
Whether you’re a care operator, investor or developer, legal advice that saves you time and money allows you to focus on what you do best. Our team of cross-disciplinary lawyers are market-leading specialists in the private care sector.
With unrivalled experience and expertise in the sector, we are at the forefront of legal developments within the care space and understand the challenges imposed by change in regulation, financial markets and attitude to funding.
We are entrenched in the sector and have strong long-standing relationships with key personalities and organisations within it. We know what you need to know.
Our dedicated Partners leading each matter are ‘hands on’ and live to the nuances of the sector. We are one of only a handful of UK firms to have acted on international REIT care investment transactions.
Freeths are proud sponsors of The Care Home Show.
Click here to watch episode 29 of The Care Home Show with Thomas Golding, Partner at Freeths and Andrew Winstanley, CEO of Baycroft Senior Living.
Why choose Freeths Care?
- Our expert knowledge of the regulatory regime enables us to give advice which is relevant to you;
- We advise on all matters in the sector – including regulatory, real estate, corporate, banking, employment and disputes;
- We act on all transactions including:
- corporate acquisitions and disposals;
- refinancing & restructuring;
- institutional sale & leasebacks;
- property development and construction;
- planning appraisals and obtaining planning permissions;
- regulatory disputes, tribunals and registrations;
- specialised domestic and international REIT work (including dealing with US style ‘triple net’ leases and framework agreements);
- credit control services;
- commercial dispute matters – including professional negligence claims, breach of contract, insurance claims, shareholder disputes and debt recovery;
- insolvency matters – including claims by an Insolvency Practitioner against a director or third party
- advice from our specialist employment and immigration teams to support your recruitment and HR needs
- You can trust us to advise on high profile claims, high value transactions and complex regulatory matters;
- Partner led relationships and service delivery;
- We act for clients in a collaborative, positive and result-focused manner. We do not point-score
Who we work with
- Allied Healthcare
- Anchor Hanover Group
- Athena Care Homes
- Bank Leumi (UK) Plc
- Baycroft Senior Villages
- Belmont Healthcare
- Berkley Care Group
- BKR Care Consultancy
- Clydesdale & Yorkshire Banking Group
- Country Court Care Group
- Hamberley Developments
- ID Medical Group
- Lawrence Baker Group
- Lloyds Bank
- LNT Group
- Marchese Partners UK
- Maria Mallaband Care Group
- Oakdale Care Group
- Westmoreland Supported Living
0845 634 9799
0845 050 3645
0845 050 3647
0845 050 3697
0845 030 5786
0845 030 5737
Forward thinking for the Health and Care SectorArticles 26th Mar 2020
Care Homes, ‘Golden Brick’ and ‘Turnkeys’: Unlocking the Differences (Part 2)Articles 17th Feb 2020
Care Homes, ‘Golden Brick’ and ‘Turnkeys’: Unlocking the Differences (Part 1)Articles 28th Jan 2020
"Freeths LLP’s 'attentive' team combines 'industry knowledge with legal expertise and wealth of experience' to deliver 'first-rate advice and great background research'. It acts for care home operators as well as banks and private equity investors on financing projects in the health and social care sectors."
(The Legal 500, 2017)
"Phil Baigent receives praise for his expertise in the healthcare sector and counts a number of the most prominent funders and operators in the sector amongst his list of clients."
(Chambers & Partners, 2017)
"Freeths have been advising the Maria Mallaband Group for many years, particularly on the acquisition, development and funding of our new care homes and we’ve found them to be pragmatic, hands-on and focused in getting things done. James Clamp leads the team and provides a first class service, whether we are dealing with smaller landowners/developers or major international investors and funders. He covers the whole spectrum of deals for us efficiently and in a capable manner. Working seamlessly with James is Phil Baigent who handles the group’s corporate and banking work. They are a great team who consistently impress the people we deal with."
(Chris Womack, Business Development Director, MMCG)
"As a longstanding adviser to the LNT Group, Thomas leads the team providing our real estate legal services - and can be relied upon to provide a prompt, first class service and reacts quickly to our requirements. Thomas is pragmatic and approachable, and understands our needs."
(Philip Raven, Director, LNT Group)
"Freeths LLP’s team ‘is particularly knowledgeable of the demands and challenges within the healthcare sector’."
(The Legal 500, 2019)
"Thomas Golding and James Clamp ‘are particularly knowledgeable in the sector’."
(The Legal 500, 2019)
- Acquisition by Maria Mallaband Care Group of the entire issued share capital of Acer Healthcare; one of the largest private company acquisitions in the sector, with loan funding from US REIT, HCP Inc.
- The sale of a portfolio of 23 UK wide senior living facilities to US based REIT, HCP Inc for £75.8 million (including leaseback and portfolio securitisation).
- The corporate sale by LNT Group of the Ideal Carehomes Group (incorporating 25 operating care facilities) for in excess of £100 million to Anchor Trust.
- Acting for Country Court Care Group on its refinancing of 7 care homes with a UK clearing bank.
- The entrance to the UK market of a new senior living care village platform funded by a global institutional investor, with an aggregate investment value of c£800 million.
- Agreement for development and lease of a brand new luxury 64-bed care home by Baycroft Senior Living.
- Acquisition, funding (including facility agreements), forward development and sale contract for a £9.8 million care home development by Pivotal Care to Target Healthcare REIT.
- The £15 million development financing of a retirement village utilising a Sharia compliant funding arrangement, using a Murabaha structure.
- A private equity development funding programme relating to 15 care home constructions over an 8 year period with an equity injection of £50 million.
- Development funding by Clydesdale/Yorkshire Bank healthcare team for various luxury care home developments totalling circa £50 million.
- Advising LNT Group, one of the UK’s leading care home developers, on a deal with Oakdale Care Group and Target Healthcare REIT on forward commit contracts for the development and sale of 4 purpose built residential care homes for the elderly.
- We have also been involved in the following:
- Guiding a national operator on the revamping of its suite of resident contracts and agreements following the CMA investigation into the care sector;
- Advising a provider on a CMA investigation and intervention;
- Assisting various operators with CQC enforcement and tribunal matters (including coroner’s inquests and health & safety investigations);
- Helping operators with employee immigration compliance (providing visa specialist support, including Tier 2 and 5 licensing assistance)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014