International & Domestic
What is involved?
Our team has significant experience in both international and domestic commercial arbitration. The team also uses its expertise to assist clients with non-contentious commercial contract drafting, particularly where questions of enforcement, recovery, risk management, governing law and jurisdiction are key issues for clients – especially when contracting with overseas counter-parties.
Freeths have established relationships with local law firms internationally, each of whom we work with regularly and trust. This allows us to work with the best specialist local law firms in the jurisdictions relevant to your dispute, without being tied to branch offices or restricted networks.
We select the best local law firm, with the right experience and sector expertise, to match your requirements, and are also happy to work as co-counsel with your own overseas advisors.
Call our Dispute Resolution team to see how we can help you.
Why choose Freeths?
- Significant arbitration expertise in complex and high-value ICC, LCIA, LMAA, SCC, AAA and ad hoc arbitrations
- Working with clients and counter-parties in a wide range of jurisdictions including Europe, Africa, the Middle East, India, the United States and South America across a variety of sectors including retail and distribution; manufacturing, engineering and construction; oil, gas and energy; pharmaceuticals; aviation, shipping and transport; mineral extraction; and professional and financial services
- Regularly acting with overseas clients’ local advisors as co-counsel
- Strong relationships with litigation funders and brokers and significant experience in the provision of funding solutions for international arbitration
As part of our commitment to working with you, we are happy to offer bespoke in-house training to your in-house and commercial teams and regularly deliver training days to in-house teams on cross-border contracting and international arbitration.
Alternatively complete the form below:
National Head of Team
0345 077 9581
0345 271 6764
0345 030 5793
0345 077 9581
0345 077 9643
0345 340 4218
0345 077 9567
0345 030 5789
0345 077 9578
0345 166 6301
0345 077 9582
Li Yen Lim
0345 050 3668
0345 128 6979
0345 030 5658
Navigating Global Risks – Strategies for Allocation, Troubleshooting and EnforcementEvents 8th Feb 2024
The Impersistence of Memory – Fact Witness Evidence in International ArbitrationArticles 21st Sep 2021
ICC Introduces expedited procedure for small claimsArticles 28th Feb 2017
"I am so pleased that it is all over and thank you so much for your help in bringing this matter to a speedy conclusion."
"Your attention to matters has been excellent. Well done."
"Thorough and steely."
- Defending an Irish company in Arbitration proceedings brought by a Nigerian company claiming damages of over £7 million for breach of a memorandum of understanding, which includes a claim for projected commissions and loss of profits as well as general damages. The dispute involves complex contractual interpretation and analysis of complex financial structures with foreign third parties.
- Advising an Indian iron ore mining company in a US$45 million ICC arbitration with a Dubai trading company, including defending a challenge to jurisdiction in the High Court. (Emirates Trading Agency LLC. V. Prime Mineral Exports Private Limited  EWHC 2014 (comm)).
- Acting for a Nigerian oil corporation in ICC proceedings involving complex jurisdictional and res judicata issues. This involved successfully convincing the Tribunal to find that no jurisdiction existed for the Claimant to bring the claim, bringing the international and domestic arbitration actions issued against the client to an early conclusion.
- Acting in ICC arbitration proceedings for a FTSE 100 company and a US pharmaceuticals company in disputes arising out of the termination of international distribution arrangements. This allowed the clients to bring to an end their incumbent relationships and focus on new ventures.
- Successfully resolving a deferred consideration dispute for a plant services provider, shortly after the commencement of LCIA arbitration proceedings arising under an asset sale agreement with a Middle Eastern counter-party.
- Acting for a heavy industrial manufacturer in ICC arbitration proceedings commenced by an Indian agent in relation to the supply of products and heavy industrial support services for a governmental railways project. We successfully resolved both those proceedings and concurrent proceedings, commenced by the agent in the Indian courts through mediation, under the ICC ADR procedure.
- Acting for an international beverages company in two disputes arising out of the break-up of joint venture arrangements in East African jurisdictions (ICC arbitration).
- Acting for a famous UK manufacturer over an issue with new technology in industrial machinery.
- Acted for the tenant of a public house in Covent Garden, advancing the tenant’s case on whether or not the lease contained a mistake concerning the hypothetical term within the rent review provisions.
- Acted for the tenant of a large hostel in Shoreditch, advising on ambiguities contained within the rent review provisions concerning the physical configuration of the property to be used for rent review purposes.
- Acting for a construction company in its £2 million contractual dispute with an employer over design and delay, through an ICC Arbitration.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014