Solutions for tomorrow’s transport needs
What is involved?
The Transport sector faces many challenges as it evolves to meet the needs of ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) and the travelling public in the post-COVID net zero carbon era. Whether it’s changes to rail franchising, the implementation of bus franchising, working within the competition rules, regional self-sufficiency as part of the devolution agenda, regulatory and political frameworks, environmental, health and safety, ensuring your HR and IR strategies are effective or simply managing your estate and assets – our multi-disciplinary Transport Sector team can help smooth the way.
The team acts for a wide range of Transportation clients including commercial operators and airlines, government bodies, public authorities, devolved transport bodies, financiers, equity investors, developers, retailers, airports, statutory utilities, infrastructure owners, manufacturers, maintainers and organisations throughout the supply chain.
Additionally, we help clients in all sectors with their Transport related needs, including for example, advising statutory utilities and landowners faced with the impact of large transport infrastructure projects such as HS2 and Crossrail. We also work closely with colleagues in our Energy Waste and Sustainability team advising on renewables and energy schemes on transport assets, and development and regeneration schemes near operational railway lines, ports and major transport interchanges.
Why choose Freeths?
Our Transport team includes specialists in heavy rail, light rail/tram, highways infrastructure, station and depot infrastructure, rail franchising and concessions, rail regulatory, bus and coach, and aviation who advise across a broad range of legal practice areas.
Our Transport team advises domestic and international clients on all contractual, infrastructure, regulatory and related matters for the movement of people by all transport modes.
The team has in-depth knowledge of the Transport sector, with particular expertise in rail, highways, bus, coach and airports/aviation. Our teams’ experience includes:
- long term maintenance arrangements
- asset stewardship
- rail depot leasing and redevelopment
- rail station leasing and redevelopment/major improvement works/construction
- transport interchange facilities
- construction of new tramways and tram depots
- rail franchising and concessions
- operation and maintenance of tram systems
- procurement and maintenance of rolling stock
- dispute resolution in relation to ticketing scheme and revenue allocation
- corporate M&A of transport sector companies, including rail transit and ticketing software solutions, and vehicle part manufacturers
- Network Rail asset protection and implementation agreements
- statutory utilities on asset diversions and monitoring regimes to facilitate the construction of rail infrastructure
- retail and F&B concessions at railway stations
- NSIP/DCO projects and Transport and Works Act Orders
- CPO and compensation
- fleet and vehicle procurement
- powers to levy highway tolls
- new roads and highways schemes
- highways framework agreements
- low emission vehicles, hydrogen and EV charging infrastructure
- planning and consenting including NSIP/DCO projects
- environmental regulation and permitting
Bus and Coach
- local bus services – enhanced Partnerships and franchising concessions
- demand responsive services
- DfT grant and other funding schemes
- licensing and other regulatory matters
- ticketing schemes
- technology procurement
- retail and F&B concessions at bus stations
- competition and subsidy control
Airports and Aviation
- significant airport redevelopment and expansion projects
- concession agreements (retail, advertising, catering)
- ground transportation and surface access contracts (taxis, coaches, car hire operators)
- supplier and aviation contracts (IT, PPM, PRM, ground handlers)
- procurement and tendering processes, including Utilities Contracts Regulations and the Concession Contracts Regulations
- competition advice and review into mergers, markets and abuse of dominant position
- drafting airport by-laws
- defending Health & Safety Executive prosecutions, investigations and inquests
- NSIP/DCO projects
- CPO and compensation
We are supplier members of the Confederation of Passenger Transport
Our other services include:
TransportSubmit an enquiry below
ZEBRA Funding Phase 2 – lessons learnt and considerations for biddersPast Events 20th Oct 2023
The Department for Transport has initiated a new ZEBRA funding roundArticles 21st Sep 2023
Delivery drivers: crackdown on illegal workingArticles 28th Apr 2023
0345 030 5767
0345 126 3775
0345 128 6958
0345 017 8381
0345 271 6770
0345 634 2606
0345 128 7974
0345 077 9567
0345 5340 4220
0345 128 6996
0345 030 5728
0345 017 6020
0345 272 5720
0345 166 6267
0345 404 1716
‘I think the team brings different levels of experience and expertise and can rely on each other for support to offer clients an all round legal service’.
(The Legal 500, 2024)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014