Safeguarding wealth for the future
What is involved?
Trusts can be a useful way to protect your family, your business or your home. Our lawyers can assist with everything from trust creation through to winding up on lifetime trusts, testamentary trusts, personal injury trusts and more. Freeths’ team of in-house financial advisors can also assist in the preparation of trust assets.
We can advise on the safe custody of securities and prepare all the necessary documents during your trust’s lifetime. Our team also handle receipts and payments (including investment income and distribution of capital income), and the preparation of annual accounts, tax returns and the submission of returns to HMRC.
Why choose Freeths?
- Our team brings together lawyers with legal, accountancy and tax backgrounds to handle trusts
- We don’t use jargon – using clear language helps us to avoid problems and misunderstandings
- You can rely on us to provide alternatives if a trust is unsuitable or won’t meet your expectations
- We provide a proactive, creative approach that is tailored to benefit you and your family
- If you have an accountant or financial advisor, we are always happy to work with them
Call our experienced Private Client team now to find out how we can help you with Trusts.
Our trusts team provide peace of mind, sound advice and a smooth-running service in this complex area of law.
We take into account family members who are very young or otherwise vulnerable, helping to find a trust that suits you.
The needs of you and your family will always be put first by our lawyers. Some trusts are used to minimise tax, or to take advantage of tax loopholes. We do not believe in artificial schemes which eventually fall foul of HMRC. However, we do take advantage of reliable methods of tax mitigation through the use of trusts. You can depend on us to listen to your concerns.
We also offer a variety of detailed information guides about Trusts, including a general guide, a price guide for setting one up, and your responsibilities as a Trustee. Please get in touch using our enquiry form if you would like a copy.
0186 578 1107
0845 030 5819
0845 166 6345
0845 030 5735
0845 128 6963
0186 578 1154
0845 274 6851
0845 274 6887
0186 578 1133
0845 128 6962
0845 1666 344
0186 578 1208
0845 128 6965
Freeths contentious trusts and estates team shortlisted for prestigious awardNews 15th Jun 2017
"Brilliant private client team combines strength in depth with an ability to forge strong client relationships."
"National head of private client Nigel Roots is an expert in trusts, tax and charities, including contentious trusts matters. One source said: 'He's very approachable and practical, and explains things well’ and has ‘phenomenal' trusts expertise'."
"Part of a large team, senior associate Jane Robinson and associate Lisa Mark-Bell have notable trusts and tax expertise respectively."
"Nigel Roots heads the Private Client team and advises on a full range of private client matters, often with cross-border elements. His expertise lies in complex trusts, where he is known for acting as an independent trustee in disputed estates."
"Singled out for her 'professionalism, sincerity and immense knowledge', Jane Maitland acts as an executor and trustee and is also a Court of Protection appointed deputy for vulnerable clients."
(The Legal 500, 2017)
- Advising and assisting families with complex Declaration of Trust arrangements.
- Drafting and administration of Personal Injury Trusts including High Court approved trusts for injured children.
- Supporting inter-generational family trusts, acting as a trustee and also advising trustees of their responsibilities.
- The creation of a personal injury trust for a minor following an award of compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority. The trust was drafted to provide defined subfunds for various specified needs of the beneficiary.
- Trust reorganisation for a farming family working with accountant and corporate colleagues to restructure family company. This was to enable succession to family business and protection of interests in land for family members not involved in the business.
- Acting as a court-appointed independent administrator/judicial trustee in complex contested estate administrations.
- Advising a client on the termination of a will trust upon the beneficiary reaching a specified age. In particular advising regarding the taxation elements, including Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax and the availability of holdover relief. Completing the appropriate returns for submission to HMRC.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014