Partner & Head of Financial Services
Adam acts for both FCA authorised and unauthorised clients active in the financial services sector. His clients include fund operators and service providers, financial advisors, finance brokers, brokerage firms, insurers and insurance brokers.
Adam has experience advising clients on securing FCA authorisation, varying regulatory permissions and passporting rights. He also advises on ongoing compliance obligations. Where clients wish to offer financial services without FCA authorisation, he can advise on appropriate business structures and solutions. Adam also has experience of supporting clients through FCA investigations and conducting financial services litigation, such as defending mis-selling claims.
Adam is listed as a Recommended Lawyer in the Legal 500 (2019 Edition).
Financial Services Regulation
- Securing FCA authorisation and arranging a MiFID passport into various EU member states for an online broker.
- Advising a motorcycle manufacturer on an introducer-appointed representative arrangement with a regulated insurer.
- Advising a London market insurer on managing down its multi-million pound exposure to secondary intermediary policyholders facing potential PPI mis-selling claims.
- Advising a FCA authorised firm on the potential regulatory implications of making interest-bearing loans to employees in order to facilitate the acquisition of shares in the business. Finding a solution that took advantage of a regulatory exemption, to enable the loans to be made at an interest rate the client was comfortable with.
- Assisting a motorcycle manufacturer to establish an “own brand” warranty scheme for used motorcycles. Working with counsel and client to find a compliant, commercially-viable proposition that worked for the manufacturer, its dealers and customers.
- Advising the US SIPA Trustee of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC and Bernard L. Madoff in respect of his English and cross-border claims – arising out of the world’s largest Ponzi scheme.
- Acting for a brokerage and trading firm in respect of FCA investigation, concerning its alleged role in a substantial overseas dividend arbitrage tax fraud.
- Acting for insurance brokers and financial advisers facing FOS complaints and negligence claims.
- Acting for an excess layer insurer in dispute with the FSCS regarding the extent of cover available to satisfy customer claims against an insolvent network of financial advisors.
- Providing regulatory compliance support and assisting to streamline a national franchised dealer group’s processes, ensuring these sales processes are FCA-compliant and practical for the business.
- Advising regulated firms in the automotive sector on the introduction of the Consumer Duty.
- FCA v Whitestone and Seiler
- Motor Dealer Commission Disclosure – Case Update
- FCA Announces New Gateway for Approving Financial Promotions
- AIFM Regulatory Hosting: Pitfalls, Risks and Solutions
- Mercedes-Benz UK appoints Shoosmiths and Freeths to new legal panel
- Continuation funds – some key considerations
- Financial Conduct Authority introduces new financial promotions rules for cryptocurrencies
- Reserved Investor Fund Consultation
- Sustainability Disclosure Requirements and Investment Labels
- Our thoughts on the FCA’s recent Discussion Paper on updating and improving the UK regulatory regime for asset management
- Financial Crime, the hottest trend in FCA enforcement?
- The Edinburgh Reforms – consumer credit reform
- Implementation of the consumer duty for asset managers
- Implementation of the Consumer Duty for Insurance Intermediaries
- Implementation of the consumer duty for insurers
- Implementation of the Consumer Duty for Brokers and Intermediaries in the Consumer Finance Sector
- Implementation of the Consumer Duty for Lenders in the Consumer Finance Sector
- Cryptocurrencies & regulation in 2022 – What does the future of crypto look like?
- Funeral Plan providers become FCA regulated
- Freeths advises leading Oxford financial adviser
- All change in Consumer Credit: ‘Ambitious’ Consumer Credit Act reform, regulation of BNPL, the Consumer Duty, and much more…
- The UK Government announces regulation of BNPL credit – what action should you be taking now?
- COVID-19 and Business Interruption Two Years On – Where are we Now?
- Latest High Court decision chips away at FCA Test Case on Business Interruption Insurance
- FCA publishes second consultation on new Consumer Duty
- Freeths Advise QPR Newco LLC on the Purchase of Stake in Championship Football Club Queens Park Rangers
- FCA sets out Final Rules for Regulated Funeral Plans
- FSMA – A route to free the estate from the unregulated?
- Financial Services FAQs – Brexit Edition
- The High Court Hands Down Its Judgment in the FCA Test Case on Business Interruption Insurance
- Business Interruption Insurance: FCA sets out how insurers should be handling Coronavirus claims and complaints
- Coronavirus: Business Interruption Insurance FAQs
- The FCA turns the spotlight on financial advisers
- Freeths advises DivideBuy on £60m funding
- First outing for FCA’s competition enforcement powers in suspected information exchange breach by four asset management firms
- Staff incentives in consumer credit – putting customer experience front and centre
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014