Adam acts for both FCA authorised and unauthorised clients active in the financial services sector. His clients include fund operators and service providers, financial advisors, finance brokers, brokerage firms, insurers and insurance brokers.
Adam has experience advising clients on securing FCA authorisation, varying regulatory permissions and passporting rights. He also advises on ongoing compliance obligations. Where clients wish to offer financial services without FCA authorisation, he can advise on appropriate business structures and solutions. Adam also has experience of supporting clients through FCA investigations and conducting financial services litigation, such as defending mis-selling claims.
Adam is listed as a Recommended Lawyer in the Legal 500 (2019 Edition).
FCA Investigations & Enforcement Action
- Securing FCA authorisation and arranging a MiFID passport into various EU member states for an online broker.
- Advising a motorcycle manufacturer on an introducer-appointed representative arrangement with a regulated insurer.
- Advising a London market insurer on managing down its multi-million pound exposure to secondary intermediary policyholders facing potential PPI mis-selling claims.
- Advising a FCA authorised firm on the potential regulatory implications of making interest-bearing loans to employees in order to facilitate the acquisition of shares in the business. Finding a solution that took advantage of a regulatory exemption, to enable the loans to be made at an interest rate the client was comfortable with.
- Assisting a motorcycle manufacturer to establish an “own brand” warranty scheme for used motorcycles. Working with counsel and client to find a compliant, commercially-viable proposition that worked for the manufacturer, its dealers and customers.
- Advising the US SIPA Trustee of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC and Bernard L. Madoff in respect of his English and cross-border claims – arising out of the world’s largest Ponzi scheme.
- Acting for a brokerage and trading firm in respect of FCA investigation, concerning its alleged role in a substantial overseas dividend arbitrage tax fraud.
- Acting for insurance brokers and financial advisers facing FOS complaints and negligence claims.
- Acting for an excess layer insurer in dispute with the FSCS regarding the extent of cover available to satisfy customer claims against an insolvent network of financial advisors.
- Coronavirus: Business Interruption Insurance FAQs
- The FCA turns the spotlight on financial advisers
- Freeths advises DivideBuy on £60m funding
- First outing for FCA’s competition enforcement powers in suspected information exchange breach by four asset management firms
- Staff incentives in consumer credit – putting customer experience front and centre
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014