Banking & Finance
Specialist pragmatic support for complex transactions
What is involved?
We understand that our clients need practical solutions. Our commercially minded team work for some of the biggest names in finance, including HSBC Bank, Lloyds Banking Group, Santander UK and The Royal Bank of Scotland. Using our legal-services we offer a range of specialist services tailored to support both funders and borrowers on banking and finance transactions.
Our experienced team is routinely involved in corporate banking, acquisition finance, structured finance, development finance, real estate finance, asset backed lending, invoice finance, restructuring, syndicated lending and finance litigation.
Our team is regularly involved in cross border finance transactions, supporting our UK borrower clients with the international elements of their banking and finance transactions.
Why choose Freeths?
- Our banking and finance team is ranked in the legal directories. This reflects the views of our clients who benefit from our extensive experience and pragmatic approach. The quality and volume of our solutions-based work in corporate, real estate and development finance is well recognised.
- Banking and finance transactions are partner led supported by teams of specialist lawyers depending on the circumstances of the transaction (tax, mergers & acquisitions, real estate etc.). This means our funder and borrower clients receive pragmatic solutions from an experienced, specialist team.
- Having a network of 12 offices across most regions of England & Wales means we have good contacts and strong representation with funders in the markets in which we operate. We also recognise that there can be regional differences across those markets.
- Our capable team provide pragmatic and straight-talking advice. Working with you, our commercially focussed advice is tailored to providing recommendations and not simply options.
- Ahli United Bank (UK)
- Allied Irish Bank
- Bank of Ireland
- Cambridge & Counties Bank
- Clydesdale and Yorkshire Banks
- Habib Bank AG Zurich
- HSBC Bank
- ICG Longbow
- Irish Bank Resolution Corporation
- Leumi ABL
- Lloyds Banking Group
- National Westminster Bank
- Santander UK
- Svenska Handelsbanken AB
- The Royal Bank of Scotland
- Redwood Bank
Banking & Finance Lawyers
0845 634 9799
0845 073 8550
0845 271 6751
0845 030 5823
0845 128 7995
0845 274 6909
0845 166 6252
Managing Partner - Nottingham & National Head of Commercial
0845 634 1725
Managing Partner - Milton Keynes
0845 271 6750
0845 634 9782
0845 073 8551
0845 166 6317
0845 404 1739
0845 274 6912
0845 017 1122
0845 050 3697
0845 073 8398
0845 272 5737
0845 128 7975
0845 050 3611
0845 128 6994
0845 030 5737
0845 271 6797
Bail-In – RefresherArticles 19th Dec 2018
Freeths lawyers shortlisted for UK legal awardsNews 10th Dec 2018
Freeths enjoy new entries and improved rankings in the Legal 500News 19th Oct 2017
"The support that we received from Freeths was fantastic. They got to grips with the key issues very quickly and dealt with these in a no nonsense way. We have been very impressed with the quality of work and advice from Freeths and wanted to record a note of our appreciation. I know that others on this transaction have also commented on the superb performance of the whole banking side of this deal."
(Director, Acquisition Finance, Lloyds Banking Group)
"The team at Freeths are a key business partner with a tremendous amount of expertise to call upon. They have consistently delivered high standards on their property finance work for the Bank, particularly with a number of large and indeed complex healthcare developments, which I have funded over the past few years. I really value the ongoing support provided by Freeths as this has been instrumental in helping me grow my business."
(Relationship Director, The Royal Bank of Scotland)
"Phil is a great commercial and banking lawyer with whom I am delighted to work."
(John Ramsay, Relationship Director (Education), Santander Corporate Banking)
"Chris Freeston First ranked in Chambers UK 2014. He represents clients across the spectrum of corporate lending, specialising in project finance and property work. Sources affirm: ‘Chris is very easy to get on with and always on hand to give sound, pragmatic advice’."
(Chambers & Partners, 2018)
"’Very strong commercial lawyer’ and ‘is very strong on the banking and finance side’. John Heaphy has substantial experience handling corporate transactions across a host of sectors."
"[James] ... is legally aware and commercially astute enough to know when things really matter. He is not one for wasting client's time and money on points that are not commercially relevant, but he will ensure that you are aware of matters which he believes are relevant."
(Paul Andrews, Amber Infrastructure)
"Freeths LLP is ‘a firm clients want to work with."
(The Legal 500, 2019)
Clients commend the firm's collaborative approach: "They are focused, commercially aware and pragmatic. They understand their clients well and bring in experts from other fields as they need to." Others note: "They produce very high-quality work. They approach transactions pragmatically and with a commercial view, but equally ensure that our position is protected."
(Chambers & Partners, 2019)
- Advising Clydesdale Bank on the provision of acquisition finance and working capital facilities to support the institutional buy-out of Motion Finance and Ikon Aluminium.
- Advising Lloyds Bank on its financing of a £50 million expansion plan for a care home operator.
- Advising Santander UK on transactions in the healthcare sector with aggregate facilities in excess of £33 million.
- Advising Cambridge & Counties Bank on real estate finance transactions.
- Advising private equity clients, including Lloyds Development Capital, on the terms of acquisition finance and unitranch facilities in support of sponsor backed management buy-outs.
- Advising The Alumasc Group on its £30 million revolving credit, term and accordion facilities from HSBC Bank and Barclays Bank.
- Advising a household name public company on the restructuring of its financing arrangements with facilities in excess of £150 million.
- Acting for a FTSE-listed business on its £20 million syndicated facility.
- Advising West Register (part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group) on in excess of 100 transactions comprising a mix of development sites, partially completed sites and investments.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014