Resolving your dispute with Real Estate Litigation
What is involved?
We act for a wide range of commercial businesses, institutions, landed estates and individuals on all real estate and property disputes including:
- The termination and renewal of business leases
- Dilapidations disputes
- Advice regarding break rights
- Easement and covenant disputes
- Issues relating to landlords’ consents
- Telecommunications issues
- Agricultural disputes
- Obtaining vacant possession for development
- Possession claims
- Professional indemnity claims arising from negligent property advice
- Right to light issues
- Rates mitigation schemes
- The reputational and business continuity risks presented by campaign and protest groups
Why choose Freeths?
- We have a regular programme of training events, where we share our knowledge and expertise with our clients – building your capacity to reduce your external legal spend
- We are praised by our clients as being “responsive, knowledgeable and excellent value for money”
- We provide you with dependable and strategic advice when you need it most with an early stage assessment of a dispute to achieve the result you want: faster, better, cheaper
- We also present bespoke training for a number of our clients taking account of the nature of their businesses and issues that regularly arise
Freeths understand that being experts in the management of real estate disputes is not enough. Our lawyers appreciate that our true value comes in applying our knowledge and experience to practical problems, which helps you to manage and resolve disputes quickly and efficiently.
Our focus is on the expense, time and risk of litigation so we do not ‘get lost’ in interesting legal points with no commercial impact. We pride ourselves on understanding your specific business needs, so that we do not simply offer you a list of legal options, but a practical solution tailored to your requirements.
Call our Real Estate Litigation team now to find out how we can help you.
Property Disputes Lawyers
0845 274 6903
0186 578 1058
0845 126 4381
0845 271 6773
0845 271 6764
0186 578 1020
0845 634 2548
01865 781 054
0186 578 1021
0845 166 6301
0845 077 9609
0845 274 6924
0845 271 6772
0845 077 9657
0845 030 5758
0845 050 3608
0845 271 6737
01865 781 023
0845 050 3260
New Director for Freeths in ManchesterNews 11th Jan 2018
Real Estate Bulletin – Winter 2017/18Articles 8th Jan 2018
"Clare...we really appreciate the responsive, clearly explained and fully joined up support that Freeths provided. It was a surprisingly complex and multi-faceted issue, involving not only our building and court proceedings, but also negotiation and communication with multiple parties and stakeholders, and several other legal issues that needed to be resolved in parallel. Really professional - well done and thank you."
"With close to 300 stores nationwide, The Money Shop frequently faces property management issues such as contested and uncontested lease renewals, dilapidations disputes, contested rent reviews and unreasonable service charge demands by landlords. Paul Tomkins and Edd Pickard in Freeths' Real Estate Litigation team work closely with me on these matters. I view Paul and Edd as part of our in-house team. They are both very approachable and provide clear, concise advice which demonstrates that they do not just understand the legal position but also the commercial context in which they are giving their advice."
(Phil Mulroney, Head of Property, The Money Shop)
Freeths LLP fields a team of "experts in their field, able to apply knowledge to issues with a great degree of realism and commerciality".
(The Legal 500, 2019)
An "excellent" property litigation practice that provides "well thought out advice and very well drafted representations".
(The Legal 500, 2019)
Offers a comprehensive range of real estate litigation services to clients. Represents a number of retailers, local authorities and developers. Impressive track record of advising household names on landlord and tenant disputes, restrictive covenants and vacant possession strategies. One source says: "They're personable and down-to-earth."
(Chambers & Partners, 2019)
"The firm provides practical, good value advice."
(The Legal 500, 2020)
Interviewees say the lawyers are "very thorough and very professional." Another adds: "I found them very user-friendly."
(Chambers & Partners, 2020)
One client praises the team as "very professional, commercially minded and offering value for money." A source says: "My impression of Freeths is of a firm always focused on providing workable solutions to clients’ issues by giving clear and practical advice."
(Chambers & Partners, 2020)
- Resolved a high value boundary dispute between quarreling neighbours. Our strategy out maneuvered the opponents and extinguished what was a highly emotive situation.
- Acting for Aldi in connection with an application for an injunction made by its tenant, Iceland, where Iceland was seeking to prevent Aldi from carrying out an extension to its supermarket in Cambridge. We provided both legal and commercial advice throughout and pushed the matter on such that we got to a full trial within 6 weeks at which the High Court dismissed Iceland’s application.
- Acting for a large Oxfordshire Landed Estate on a wide variety of property disputes. These included defending a claim to dedicate public rights of way over estate land through long public use, a claim to dedicate estate land as a village green, defending an adverse possession claim and advising in relation to removal of 1954 Act protected tenants to allow site development.
- Recent property disputes range from arguments over title, tenure and other property rights, through to high-value and complex claims for multi-million pound losses on commercial property transactions.
- Providing legal and tactical advice to landlords and tenants in connection with the termination and renewal of business tenancies.
- Acting for a landowner in connection with an urgent application to the High Court for an order for possession of commercial property. The property was being occupied by trespassers who were fly-tipping significant quantities of waste on the land. We prepared the application, got the application before the judge, obtained an order for possession and organised for High Court enforcement officers to enforce the order and carry out the eviction on the very same day.
- Advising a client regarding a trespass on their land in relation to substantial building works undertaken by a third party and threatening injunctive proceedings and/or a claim for damages against the perpetrator.
- Advising on diverse aspects of property litigation issues including rights of way, party wall claims, rights to light issues, dilapidation claims, applications to assign, insolvencies, forfeiture and repossession, lease renewals and applications to assign/underlet.
- Acting for a farmer on an AHA tenancy challenging a notice to quit (settled favourably at arbitration) where the client’s land was the centre of a proposed new housing development.
- Acting for a national housing developer in relation to a boundary dispute and negotiating a settlement which allowed the development to continue.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014