Partner & National Head of Employment
National head of employment Julian Middleton is "exceptional," according to sources,and is known for his work with prominent employers. An impressed client describes him as "extremely practical and commercially minded."
(Chambers & Partners, 2020)
A highly specialised lawyer, Julian specialises in the ever-changing world of employment law. His main focus is on proactive risk reduction through the client’s internal skill development and the production of a commercial approach to human resource and managing people.
Julian advises businesses on implementing strategies for creating modern workplaces and delivering the most productive and engaged workforce. This is achieved through internal management training; planning and implementing reorganisations, collective consultations and individual case-handling. Always focussing on securing the best possible commercial outcomes, and maximising financial and reputational gain.
During his career at Freeths, Julian has helped take it from a £2m turnover single-office solicitors practice into the circa£80m turnover 12 city law firm it is today. He has been Managing Partner of the Leicester Office, Managing Partner of the Head Office in Nottingham and National Head of the Employment, Pensions and Immigration Team.
Julian is one of the few solicitors identified by Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession as an Eminent Practitioner.
Julian is listed as a Leading Individual in Chambers (2020 edition) and as a Recommended Lawyer in the Legal 500 (2019 edition).
- Julian manages the delivery of all the employment and HR needs of one of the biggest supermarket retailers in the UK. He has written a reference book to guide all managers through their handling of all employment issues. He trains Managers and Directors and advises them and the business on all issues and represents them in all litigation.
- Advises businesses on implementing strategies for creating modern working environments to deliver the most productive and engaged workforce.
- Represents household name companies on implementing reorganisations, consultation processes and individual case handling, to deliver the best possible commercial outcomes.
- Has represented senior individuals, including executive and non-executive main Board Directors and Managers in Premier League and Championship football clubs, in handling high value disputes and claims.
- Provides focussed training on the commercial approach to dealing with employment issues for maximum financial and reputational gain.
- Aldi Stores Ltd;
- 2 Sisters Food Group Ltd;
- British Psychological Society;
- British Dieticians Association
- De Montfort University
- East Midlands Business Ltd
- Oakham School
- The Royal Air Forces Association
- The Chairman and Directors of Leicester City Football Club
- The Chairman of Derby County FC
- Derby County FC
- John Gregory
“I have worked with Julian for some years since we transferred the provision of our legal advice to Freeths It was very clear from the outset that Julian was able to provide legal advice to us on a range of technically complex issues. Advice was provided not only within the context of the law but also in the context of our sector and the nuances particular to this organisation. Julian demonstrates a very high degree of professionalism, his advice is provided in a timely manner, is technically sound and provided in a way which assists me and my team to deliver solutions to some very difficult people issues.”
“Over the years working with Julian and his team, they have more than demonstrated the commitment that we expect from a key supplier to our business, particularly when it comes to access to the right people and speed of response, and we have built a high level of trust which means that we can always rely on them to deliver.”
“Julian’s work includes advising large retailers in tribunal hearings and providing employment law training to their executives. He is commended by clients for offering ‘highly effective, strategic advice based upon a thorough understanding of organisational missions and needs.’”(Chambers & Partners)
“National practice head Julian Middleton provides ‘excellent advice, combining a solid understanding of the business context with careful evaluation of available strategies’.”(The Legal 500, 2017)
“Chambers say he is praised for his ‘excellent advice,’ his ability to thoroughly understand his clients and his careful evaluation of options. One client describes him as ‘proactive, positive and commercial’.”
Julian Middleton is head of the national employment group and concentrates on providing training to employers, with notable expertise in the retail sector. Clients say: “His pragmatic advice and service is superb.”(Chambers & Partners, 2019)
“Julian is identified as an Eminent Practitioner – one of only a few in employment law – by the Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession and is recommended for ‘going the extra mile’ and delivers ‘incredibly clear, concise and timely advice’.”(Chambers & Partners, 2018)
“Julian Middleton provides really clear advice with a careful supporting rationale.”(The Legal 500)
“Julian was voted the ‘Most Admired Lawyer’ in Leicestershire in a recent survey by the Leicester Mercury of business and other professionals. He was described by respondents as ‘first class’ and ‘a joy to work with’.”
Julian Middleton is head of the national employment group and concentrates on providing training and advice to employers. Clients comment: “He understands our sector thoroughly, provides excellent advice with a full options appraisal, and he goes the extra mile when time is pressing.”(Chambers & Partners, 2018)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014