Nurturing your appetite for growth
What is involved?
In the increasingly competitive food sector, you need legal advisers who understand the issues you face every day – whether driven by the regulatory regime or commercial pressures. Because we work with food growing, processing and manufacturing businesses across the UK, you can be confident that we will deliver effective solutions, whatever the legal support you need. We will help you to build and protect your food business and brands, using our specialist expertise.
From buying, selling or restructuring a business, to safeguarding your intellectual property; we offer a full spectrum of services for your business.
Why choose Freeths?
- Our national team of lawyers are based in offices in major food-producing regions across the UK
- We’re familiar with the challenges you face whether as a food producer, processor or manufacturer
- We’ll help keep you up-to-date with any European and UK legislative and regulatory changes
- You can expect clear, commercial advice based on a genuine understanding of the food sector
Our industry focused team offers a full spectrum of knowledge, including meeting stringent regulatory and health & safety requirements, as well as appealing against enforcement notices and prosecutions. Or, should you find yourself in disagreement with suppliers or customers, we can assist in settling disputes, using mediation techniques where possible.
We will also support you with staff management, property and construction, or environmental issues. And when it comes to commercial agreements we apply our business sense to ensure your contracts are robust and enforceable.
Call our legal experts to get advice tailored to your unique business needs.
Who we work with
- Visual Foods
- Moy Park
- Noble Foods
- 2 Sisters
- Karsten UK
- Holland’s Pies
0845 274 6903
Partner & Head of Intellectual Property
0845 634 2583
0845 272 5720
0845 166 6300
0845 017 8381
Managing Partner - Stoke
0845 077 9610
0845 050 3616
0845 272 5723
0845 404 1757
0845 030 5728
Managing Partner - Leicester
0845 272 5710
0845 070 3811
0845 634 2589
0845 077 9560
0845 166 6337
Why use non-disclosure agreements in the food sector?Articles 18th Mar 2019
Get food labelling rightArticles 29th Nov 2018
Hot potatoes: advertising regulation and the food sectorArticles 11th Sep 2018
"The team delivered an extremely proactive and efficient service during our recent MBO, driving the process through to a successful completion. The team showed excellent professionalism and knowledge throughout the process."
"We knew what to expect after the first few deals and all the other work that Freeths has done for us over the years. The commitment, support and sector knowledge they brought to the process were vital in getting us to completion on the right terms."
"At Freeths, managing partner Mukesh Patel leads the commercial litigation practice, which continues to act for national and international clients in a wide range of mandates, including construction, insurance, and financial services disputes, as well as property litigation and insolvency litigation."
(The Legal 500)
"The 'adept and experienced' Lisa Gilligan gives 'practical and insightful advice' that 'instils confidence in clients'; she continues to act as the sole licensing counsel nationwide for Aldi, managing supermarket premises licences for stores across the country."
(The Legal 500, 2017)
"Paul Burnley of Freeths LLP is well regarded for his broad practice, which covers the full gamut of health and safety law. He defends clients against prosecution and criminal investigations, as well as representing them in inquests."
(Chambers & Partners, 2018)
- Acquisition of Fabulous Bakin’ Boys – Freeths food group advised Netherlands based food business Daelmans on the multi-million pound acquisition of Fabulous Bakin’ Boys out of administration. Daelmans Group acquired brand, IP and manufacturing assets and 100 employees were also transferred to the new owners. Freeths’ understanding of the sector ensured European and UK regulatory requirements were completely covered and the team continues to assist with commercial property requirements.
- Acquisition of Mr Freeze – The team also acted on the acquisition of Mr Freeze – producer of freeze pops – by Cooke Bros Holdings Limited (ultimate parent of Calypso Soft Drinks Limited). The deal involved 50% cash from a third party and 50% from the shareholders of Cooke Bros, on a share for share exchange. It was coupled with new asset based finance facilities of £13.4million to finance the purchase and replace existing working capital facilities for the enlarged group.
- MBO of Arden Fine Foods – Freeths acted for the vendors of Arden Fine Foods – a speciality global food importer – on their circa £10 million buyout by management. The £24 million turnover business works with food manufacturers from across the world to develop sweet and savoury biscuits for supply to UK retailers.
- Protecting trade secrets for Holland’s Pies – Our litigation experts were instrumental in gaining an injunction for iconic brand Holland’s Pies who were at risk of a competitor using secret information about the manufacture of their products. The injunction’s purpose was to prevent industrial espionage, following a former director of Holland’s Pies recruiting staff for his rival pie business.
- Managing employment relations for 2 Sisters Food Group – As sole employment advisers to 2 Sisters Food Group, which employs 23,000 staff across 40 sites, including Fox’s Biscuits, Goodfella’s Pizzas and Holland’s Pies brands, our employment team handles a constant flow of employment queries relating to all types of employment situations.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014