What is involved?
Employment law is complex and ever-changing, but you can rely on us to guide you expertly over any potential obstacle. From whistle blowing to discrimination, cutting corners at work could damage both your company’s reputation and your bottom line. Knowing the rules is essential for protecting your organisation and keeping a positive business relationship with your employees.
From tackling day-to-day HR processes like redundancy to advising on Health and Safety regulations, we offer a bespoke yet cost-effective service. Employment law can be uncertain, and we have the confidence in our approach to ensure you can always trust our judgement.
Why choose Freeths?
- Our highly regarded team is ranked in the top tier for Employment in the region by the Legal 500
- A number of our Employment team are recommended as leading individuals in Chambers
- We provide fast, efficient and practical advice at competitive rates to suit commercial needs
- You’ll enjoy working with a group of experienced, down-to-earth and personable people
- We work with you to understand your business and expertly tailor advice to your objectives
Our expertise empowers us to deal with problems in a strong and supportive way, however unusual the circumstances. In a stressful situation, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that we’ve seen it all and can be completely open about our costs. We’ve acted for private and public sector employers, and have established a reputation for timely responses and pragmatic, cost-effective solutions.
We provide a specialist employment law and HR advisory service to business clients, including directors and investors. Not to mention extras like bespoke training courses for your staff, our handy online resource ‘The Hub’ and a telephone helpline. Whether protecting your interests during a HR procedure, or assisting you with writing your new employee handbook – we build our relationships with a reassuringly human touch.
The Hub for workplace management
HR update seminars
We run regular seminars at our nationwide offices; to find out more please visit our events page.
0845 272 5720
0845 077 9653
0186 578 1079
0845 058 0753
0845 634 2563
0115 935 1860
0845 077 9610
0845 166 6266
0845 077 9638
0845 126 4387
0845 050 5783
0845 272 5715
0845 274 6949
0151 705 9323
0845 634 2598
0845 272 5716
0845 404 4186
0845 274 6819
0845 404 4133
0845 272 5719
0845 404 1749
0845 634 2589
0845 017 1345
0845 128 6993
Cyber picketing in workplace disputesArticles 25th Jun 2019
Constructive knowledge of disability – developments in ‘rubber stamping’Articles 17th Jun 2019
Employment Law Review – June 2019Articles 4th Jun 2019
"Freeths LLP’s 'fantastic' [employment] team assists major corporates, executives and public sector bodies with a range of contentious and non-contentious matters. In addition to advising employers on policy issues, grievance procedures and disciplinary actions, the group handles claims for unpaid holiday pay, harassment and unfair dismissal."
Clients say: "The employment team is extremely friendly, producing high-quality work and achieving excellent results." Others note: "They respond to you very quickly and effectively."
(Chambers & Partners, 2019)
"Christopher knows the law inside out and uses it to provide practical solutions rather than legal jargon. He takes time to understand the commercial realities before applying the law so I can always rely on his advice to be rooted in the resolution of a potential problem rather than just flagging up legal technicalities."
(Angela Rhodes, Partner, Crispin Rhodes Limited)
"A strong team that works flexibly to accommodate some of the more unusual dilemmas we present them with. They provide an impression of a solid training culture and high level of commitment."
"Freeths LLP's ‘pragmatic’ department ‘provides an excellent service with fast response times’ and ‘offers concise advice’".
(The Legal 500, 2019)
"Gemma looks after Diversity HR matters, and is someone I have no hesitation in recommending to my customers in our business consultancy which spans iconic brands to small SMEs. When a consultant recommends someone else your reputation is dependent on them, but recommending Gemma has never been a concern to me."
(Alan Slaney, Chairman, Diversity Creative Solutions Limited)
"She is an excellent employment lawyer in terms of getting the results we wanted both commercially and legally, and has in depth knowledge and experience of the retail sector which she uses to her client's advantage. However what really sets her apart is her ability to get beneath the skin of an organisation to fully understand its culture, it's business model and ways of working to the point that she appears almost to fit seamlessly into the organisation as part of the internal business team."
(Paul Forrest, Group ER Manager at Arcadia)
"The ‘very impressive’ Mark Emery advises on all employment law and HR matters for clients ranging from businesses and charities to individuals."
(Chambers & Partners, 2016)
"Rena Magdani is recognised as a skilled advocate, regularly representing clients on equal pay, discrimination and holiday pay claims. Clients admire that her ‘advice is always delivered in an affable and gracious manner, which is most reassuring in difficult situations’."
(Chambers & Partners)
- Julian manages the delivery of all the employment and HR needs of one of the biggest supermarket retailers in the UK. He has written a reference book to guide all managers through their handling of all employment issues. He trains Managers and Directors and advises them and the business on all issues and represents them in all litigation.
- Successfully defending a multi-claimant redundancy pay claim worth circa. £20 million (with leading QC).
- Successfully negotiated a low commercial settlement of a multi-day employment tribunal claim of unfair dismissal and discrimination through judicial mediation.
- Advising a company dealing with contentious exits from their organisation involving allegations of discrimination and concluding settlement of potential claims.
- Providing employment advice to employees about all aspects of employment law including contractual issues, disciplinary and grievance procedures, redundancy consultations, settlement agreements and discrimination.
- Assisting a professional services firm where a senior manager was accused of sexual harassment.
- Advised a multi-site organisation on all aspects of employee relations when setting up in the UK, including TUPE, redundancy, performance management, national living wage and diversity.
- Representing a client and appearing as the advocate in a dispute resulting in a 3-day tribunal case. The case included a claim of automatic unfair dismissal due to an alleged transnational TUPE (Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment)) transfer to a country outside of the EEA.
- Successfully defending a County Council (including the advocacy) in a 7 day sex discrimination and unfair dismissal claim and successfully claiming substantial costs against the Claimant.
- Successfully defending a rail company in a tribunal claim brought on behalf of 600 employees alleging a failure to inform and consult under TUPE. Rebecca disposed of the case and a potential liability of £3.5 million by successfully arguing that the tribunal did not have jurisdiction to hear the claim.
- Managing Employment Tribunal claims on behalf of employers from start to finish, principally in relation to unfair dismissal and discrimination claims, which involved advising on the merits of the claims and potential liability, and complying with case management directions.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014