Optimising your business structure
What is involved?
At Freeths, we have an experienced team of restructuring lawyers dedicated to advising on a wide range of situations where companies or other legal entities find themselves in financial distress. We provide expert advice to company directors, lenders, debtors, potential purchasers, and insolvency professionals on the wide range of complex issues that can arise upon companies or other entities facing financial difficulties.
Our restructuring team’s aim is to collaborate with all stakeholders to achieve, where possible, a solvent solution. If a formal insolvency is the only viable option, and will achieve a better outcome for creditors generally, then we are also highly experienced at advising on all formal insolvency options and processes.
Why choose Freeths?
- As “business people first, lawyers second” you can trust us to think commercially
- Our breadth of experience covers company law, property, employment, pensions and tax
- We have experience in a wide range of sectors, so we can find the right solution for you
- You can rely on us to be straight-talking and honest about all the options available
The reasons behind financial distress are often far reaching – a true understanding is a necessity. Our pragmatic restructuring lawyers have an in-depth knowledge of many different areas. This means that all potential issues can be considered and assessed before the right solution is put forward.
We have experience in a wide range of sectors including media, technology, engineering, construction, manufacturing, leisure and hospitality, retail, and transport. In addition to advising private entities, we have assisted public sector bodies in large scale and high profile restructurings.
Our team prides itself on thinking outside the box and coming up with creative solutions to meet our clients’ needs.
Call our experienced Restructuring & Insolvency team to discuss your needs.
0845 634 2609
0845 126 4376
0845 634 2543
0845 128 7985
0845 404 4194
0845 634 2560
0845 271 6778
Freeths’ Miles Hacking qualifies as an Insolvency PractitionerNews 23rd Apr 2019
Freeths lawyers shortlisted for UK legal awardsNews 10th Dec 2018
Freeths Director joins R3News 3rd Jul 2017
Represents clients on all sides of disputes, including trustees in bankruptcy, liquidators and debtors. Also regularly handles personal insolvency matters. One client says: "The depth of experience and size of the team means that they are able to assimilate any type or volume of work we pass to them. They have strong capability across the spectrum of insolvency, and have continually impressed." Clients praise the team's "technical skill, speed of response and 'no-nonsense' advice."
(Chambers & Partners, 2019)
One interviewee says: "The team is responsive, timely and I always find their advice to be high-quality and commercial." A source notes: "They have a very decent team full of talented insolvency lawyers, who are able to handle any number of different issues."
(Chambers & Partners, 2020)
A source praises Joey Byrne for "the speed at which he can turn his hand to complex issues and give clear and concise advice." He leads the firm's restructuring and insolvency group and maintains a practice focused on insolvency litigation and other contentious matters. He is particularly skilled at handling asset recovery in the context of both personal and corporate insolvencies.
(Chambers & Partners, 2020)
Clients say: "They are very approachable and not excessively technical, which makes advice easy for the ordinary person to understand." Another interviewee considers the team to be "very efficient, commercial and pleasant to deal with."
(Chambers & Partners, 2020)
- Advising the board of a group of companies with an annual turnover in excess of £200 million on contingency planning and cash flow issues and subsequently advising the companies on the appointment of administrators.
- Advised the board of directors of a large port operating company in relation to various restructuring options available following the insolvency of one of the company’s two shareholders. Freeths provided critical restructuring advice and assisted the directors in negotiations with the liquidator of the insolvent shareholder, the directors of the solvent shareholder (which was a large international conglomerate) as well as other significant stakeholders in the port. Freeths provided the directors with advice in relation to their existing contractual arrangements and strategic advice in negotiating with the various parties.
- Advising in relation to the complex restructuring of a large port operating company.
- Advising an administrative body in local government in relation to a high profile and confidential restructuring. This has involved advising the client on strategy in negotiating with high profile customers, suppliers and other local authorities and preparing commercial agreements to be entered into between the various stakeholders in relation to the restructuring.
- Advised on the restructuring of a hotel operating group of companies. Advice included the review of banking and finance arrangements, advice on restructuring strategies and options, negotiations with lenders and creditors and leading the restructuring discussions.
- Acting on a large restructuring in the sports sector and dealing with the key customers, suppliers and local authorities.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014