Labelled as one of the best
What is involved?
From the explosion of e-commerce websites to innovative advertising campaigns – retail is one of the most exciting and changeable industries out there. At Freeths we have a dedicated team of lawyers who specialise in this fast-moving area. We understand the demands that retailers face. Our expert team can advise you on everything from compliance issues to the latest market trends.
Whether you’re luxury brand or a high street supermarket, we offer tailor-made guidance to help you thrive in your field. We enable you to expand, develop, protect your products, utilise data responsibly, maximise digital opportunities, stay compliant, manage your staff, manage your property portfolio, get help with funding, or go into battle if you need to protect your business.
Why choose Freeths?
- We offer specialist advice that is to the point, jargon free and balance sheet accountable
- You will benefit from the reassurance of fixed fee pricing and our market-leading 24/7 service
- We have an in-depth understanding of retail and can give you advice on the latest trends
- You can expect speed, accuracy, innovation and cost-efficiency to give your brand the advantage
- We have developed two dedicated products to help retailers manage their assets – The Hub for staff management and Portfolio Solutions to keep on top of key property dates
Our partner-led service is tailored to your requirements, so you get exactly what you want.
We work across a wide range of products and sectors, giving us the legal expertise to maximise your effectiveness. We appreciate the power of the brand and the need to keep you trading.
Freeths have developed two products for retailers – Portfolio Solution, an interactive, deeds and document storage system which notifies you of break clauses and rent reviews. And The Hub, which helps your HR team to achieve best practice.
From franchising to managing your workforce, our dedicated team will offer you a full spectrum of service; built on a real passion for retail.
You can also use our Immigration App – particularly useful for retailers with a diverse range of staff. This allows you in a few clicks to work out if someone has the right to work in the UK.
0845 272 5734
0845 030 5747
0845 077 9675
0845 166 6322
0845 634 2583
0186 578 1058
0845 634 2577
0845 030 5767
0845 050 3676
0207 440 5849
0845 128 6988
0845 050 3203
0845 030 5784
0845 634 2563
0845 128 6989
0845 077 9625
0845 274 6910
0845 077 9657
0845 050 3604
0845 050 3684
0845 017 8382
0845 404 1757
0845 166 6261
0845 128 6997
0845 634 1735
0845 050 3608
0845 272 5719
0845 050 3610
0845 404 1749
0845 634 2589
0845 073 8558
0845 128 6996
0845 050 3260
0845 634 1742
0845 404 4112
E-commerce Policies & Distribution Agreements: is it time to amend yours?Articles 26th Apr 2019
When can suppliers ban resellers from selling on online marketplaces or E-commerce platforms?Articles 10th Apr 2018
A Retail Digital DilemmaArticles 29th Mar 2018
"Paul Smith likes to adopt a relaxed approach to business. Richard fits into this style with ease and consistently provides us with sound commercial advice."
(Company Secretary at Paul Smith)
"I've with with the team at Freeths in respect of a number of leading fashion retailers and have been consistently impressed by the speed and standard of service."
"They've shown a real understanding of our sector and give clear and practical advice. They're been particularly helpful with new entrants to the UK market."
"Managing Partner Richard Beverley continues to be active in the retail sector, where clients range from major supermarkets to fashion boutiques."
(The Legal 500)
"Sarah has acted for Hotel Chocolat for over ten years on most of our property requirements. Sarah is first class, professional, completely trustworthy and I can always rely on her to get the deal done quickly and efficiently."
(Peter Harris, Co-Founder & Development Director of Hotel Chocolat)
"Having worked with Atiyya on several projects over the past four years I have always found her to be extremely thorough and responsive in her approach to our legal requirements. Atiyya is very good at spotting sensitive details and squeezing the maximum benefit for the client through the legal process."
(Piers Barnes, Finance Director, Helly Hansen)
"With close to 300 stores nationwide, The Money Shop frequently faces property management issues such as contested and uncontested lease renewals, dilapidations disputes, contested rent reviews and unreasonable service charge demands by landlords. Paul Tomkins and Edd Pickard in Freeths' Real Estate Litigation team work closely with me on these matters. I view Paul and Edd as part of our in-house team."
(Phil Mulroney, Head of Property, The Money Shop)
"Mitchell Ball is an expert in retail and town planning."
(The Legal 500, 2019)
"Freeths are extremely reliable and have strength in depth covering every aspect of work - development, investment, landlord and tenant, insolvency, contracts, construction and planning", "Strength in depth and expertise in most areas combined with excellent customer service."
(The Legal 500, 2020)
"The team on retail property are very knowledgeable and skilled. They know all the key issues to discuss", "Freeths have a key understanding of the commercialities and practicalities of the development process. They are able to sound advice whilst also having a forward thinking approach as to how the clients interests are protected."
(The Legal 500, 2020)
- Acting for fashion, chocolate, shoe, home and electrical/mobile phone retailers in all of the major shopping centres, high streets, train stations and airports throughout the UK including flagship stores in Oxford Street, Regent Street, Brompton Road, Westfield London and Westfield Stratford.
- Acting for a well-known restaurant client acquiring properties to expand chain of restaurants.
- Successfully advised Barker and Stonehouse on securing planning permission for a new 40,000 sq ft state of the art flagship store on the former fire station site in Guildford. This involved difficult negotiations with the Highway Authority in respect of integration with and completion of wider program of highway works.
- Acting for high street retailers on their UK acquisitions and portfolio management including Pretty Green, Kikki.K, 3INA and others.
- Advising on a debt/equity investment in Green Room Brands which distributes Green Cola in the UK and Ireland.
- Acting for a retail client on a group reorganisation, involving the transfer of 50 freehold and leasehold properties to new group companies. This required obtaining consent from numerous landlords and from the client’s bank. Standard, even handed documentation was created to enable the transfers to be dealt with quickly and cost-effectively.
- Bringing a claim in passing off and unregistered Community design relating to the design of packaging for designer sunglasses.
- Acting for Aldi on their acquisition programme in the South East of England. This includes the acquisition of existing retail space and developer-led retail park sites and there have been a significant number of sites secured over the past 3 years.
- Bringing a claim for infringement of UK unregistered design right and unregistered Community design, relating to the design of part of a shoe.
- Providing commercial advice to a large multi-site retailer on day-to-day employment issues including advising on disciplinary and grievance processes and procedures, discrimination and harassment, pregnancy and maternity issues and termination of employment.
- Taking down dozens of misleading and infringing social media accounts purporting to offer vouchers to spend at a client’s stores.
- Procuring the transfer of dozens of domain names from cyber-squatters, typo-squatters and affiliate marketers for a high street retailer.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014