Drinks, Hospitality & Leisure
A refreshingly clear approach
What is involved?
What sets our team apart is our dedicated focus on working solely for operators of pubs, bars, restaurants, hotels and drinks and leisure businesses. We can offer your hospitality business an in-depth understanding of the particular challenges you face, and the reassurance that we speak your language.
Our passion for the industry is what underlies the longstanding relationships we have with many hospitality & leisure businesses and our vision is to be the leading legal supplier for the sector in the UK. We understand the commercial pressures driving your business – such as securing the right site, opening on time and delivering value for money.
Why choose Freeths?
- Over 30 years’ experience of working with some of the biggest names in the drinks, hospitality and leisure sector
- A team focused on nothing but advising businesses in the sector, meaning we are not distracted by other demands
- Our extensive knowledge of the regulatory regime means we truly understand your day-to-day operational concerns
- You can benefit from the wide ranging expertise and resource of our national team of specialists
- A variety of pricing models offer you budget certainty
In addition to our knowledge of the industry, you will benefit from a multi-disciplinary team – whether you are buying or selling sites, facing property disputes, commercial agreements, employment issues, dealing with regulatory or licensing issues, planning new developments, or looking for finance to allow further growth. What is unusual about our team is that our lawyers are well versed in business issues beyond their core areas of expertise – which means they can handle all aspects of a transaction, providing you with a truly seamless service.
You’ll be in good company if you work with us; our client base ranges from start-ups/SMEs and regional pub groups to large national restaurant, hotel and pub and late night operators, as well as brewers and drinks companies.
Drinks, Hospitality & Leisure Lawyers
0345 272 5723
0345 271 6750
0345 271 6757
0345 340 4215
0345 634 2583
0345 030 5767
0345 271 6773
0345 271 6764
0345 128 6958
0345 128 6954
0345 050 3619
0345 340 4202
0345 128 6969
0345 050 3667
0345 128 7985
0345 126 3761
0345 404 1757
0345 128 6997
0345 634 2589
0345 017 1345
0345 271 6755
0345 077 9567
0345 166 6349
0345 271 6752
0345 166 6304
0345 030 5718
0345 404 4142
0345 404 4175
0345 271 6772
0345 030 5803
0345 271 6760
0345 050 3563
0345 030 5858
0345 077 9580
0345 271 6731
0345 271 6737
0345 404 1725
0345 271 6746
0345 128 7989
0345 128 7965
0186 578 1291
0345 166 6267
0345 271 6736
Beverage industry off-track to meet net-zero targetsArticles 12th Oct 2023
Freethinking summit for the Hotel and Accommodation SectorPast Events 26th Apr 2023
Freeths advises Twenty20 Capital on the acquisition of seven best-known UK staffing and workforce solutions brands, bringing them together under the new brand RSS GlobalNews 28th Mar 2023
"Always accessible and gives an immediate response."
"Very proactive and always responds quickly."
"Freeths always meet their deadlines on work with a time frame."
"Freeths don't overcomplicate things...their advice is in plain English and is accessible."
"The detailed exceptions report highlights any points with potential financial impact...this is a very helpful and efficient way of reporting."
"We recognised Leo as an expert in hospitality and the restaurant/bar sector and he demonstrated to us it is a reputation well earned. Leo is thorough and provides sound commercial advice as well as providing us with a timely service."
(Managing Director, Gondola Group)
"I have worked with Heather for over 20 years delivering multiple turn key developments of internationally branded hotels (IHG, Hilton and Radisson). She is much more than a lawyer; she is proactive, solves problems and gives me answers, all in a commercially focused way. She always makes herself available when required and never lets me down."
(Alastair Cattrell, MD Wylam Investments Limited and VEC Envisage Group Limited)
"Sources highlight new department head Christopher Sing for his ‘outstanding client service, tactical ability and expertise.’ Although best known for his background with clients in the education sector, his recent experience includes advising on cases concerning industries such as finance and leisure."
(Chambers & Partners)
"'Highly experienced corporate lawyer' Jonathan Hambleton is held in high regard for both his strong sector knowledge in the leisure and hospitality industry and his private equity expertise. One client reports: 'He provided expertise and outstanding advice from a corporate perspective, helping guide us through complex corporate challenges that definitely improved our business'."
(Chambers & Partners)
- Acquisition of hotel development sites, both freehold and leasehold, including many individual sites for Premier Inn.
- Advised Carlsberg UK Limited on the acquisition of London Fields Brewery.
- Acting for Wells & Young’s on the acquisition of the Courage, Directors, McEwans and Youngers beer brands from Heineken.
- Acting for the owner in the removal of Vince Power from the Kensington Park Hotel in Notting Hill following a two week trial. The case received press coverage in the Guardian and Evening Standard, as have some of the other cases Freeths have been involved in.
- Acting for the administrators of a group of companies in the UK beverage industry operating off-license stores trading under various high-street brands. Freeths advised on the trading and ultimate disposal of over 150 stores to over 8 separate purchasers (Winerack, Victoria Wines, the Local).
- Various matters at London’s O2 arena (including two refinancings, a joint venture for a new 452-room hotel, the development of the roofwalk and proposals for the new designer outlet village).
- Acting on a number of conditional acquisitions of sites for hotel developments, guiding and advising throughout the conditional period, managing the funding and construction process and advising on the management and disposal either by way of property or corporate structure.
- Acting for the owner in connection with the development of what will be Europe’s first new build Radisson Red hotel in Scotland. This was on the agreement with the brand owner Carlson Rezidor for the management and operation of the hotel.
- Acting for an investor on the sale of a pub listed as an Asset of Community Value and general advice on the moratorium period under s95(1) of the Localism Act 2011.
- Advising national and regional brewers and pub companies on competition issues and the regulatory framework including the statutory code for tied pubs and the voluntary code of practice, Article 101 TFEU and the associated block exemption.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014