The result you want: faster, better, cheaper
Areas of Dispute Management
What is involved?
We empower you to control the dispute rather than let it control you: results come faster, better, cheaper.
We are experts at resolving disputes whether by negotiation, mediation, arbitration and litigation. Working with us, and with our early case evaluation, you will know how likely you are to succeed, the anticipated costs and timescale, as well as the best and worst case scenarios.
We achieve success by having a 3-fold approach to the management of any dispute which involves Feasibility, Risk Specific Investigation and Delivery Stages. Our focus on earliest realistic closure is achieved and managed by financial modelling. This enables any client (claimant or respondent) to ask and answer 3 Key Questions at reasonable intervals during any dispute, namely “How Much”, “When” & “How”.
You will benefit from our insightful and commercial recommendations as regards strategy. Together we will agree our game plan, running alongside you every step of the way to manage your dispute – ensuring you always retain control.
Why choose Freeths?
- Early case evaluation – an immediate view on prospects, costs and strategy
- Insight at an early stage – deploying dispute strategy, you will benefit from our commercially relevant advice on options, enabling you to make fully informed investment decisions on your case
- We achieve winning outcomes – working with you to map out the “win” scenarios for your business, and agreeing with you an action plan to achieve your objectives
- We focus on efficiency, closure and cost effective solutions, rather than allowing process to accumulate unnecessary cost. We achieve this by deploying sophisticated project management techniques
- As your trusted legal advisors, we will be with you every step of the way, managing your dispute and reporting to you in a way that works for your business
- Our clients consistently return to us for support on their most complex and “high stakes” disputes
With key account clients with whom we have built trust-based relationships, we manage our cases through exception reporting – focussing on reporting in figures not words.
We use financial cost plans, and financial predicted outcomes so that client decisions are made at all times on the expected ROI, underpinned by CBA information. These factors, coupled with our natural price arbitrage when compared to other “National & International” law firms, means that we consistently deliver the results our clients deserve cheaper than others in the market.
Should you want your case funded, we have long and trusted relationships with litigation funders. However, we put our money where our mouth is and where appropriate we will share some or all of your costs risk.
Who we work with
Dispute Management Lawyers
0845 073 8581
0845 404 4116
0845 272 5712
0845 077 9572
0845 274 6903
0186 578 1058
0845 126 4381
0114 263 9483
0845 050 3661
0845 634 2577
0845 271 6773
0845 271 6764
0186 578 1020
0845 634 2548
0845 634 2571
0845 166 6308
0845 030 5793
0845 128 7972
01865 781 054
0116 248 1114
0186 578 1021
0114 263 9438
0845 050 3203
0845 274 6880
0845 404 4189
0845 166 6301
0186 578 1079
0845 404 1756
0845 274 6892
0845 050 3698
0186 578 1055
0845 634 2563
0115 935 1860
0845 077 9636
0845 274 6944
0845 274 6904
0845 077 9609
0845 030 5759
0845 077 9581
0845 404 1740
0845 274 6924
0190 835 0200
0845 274 6910
0845 272 5670
0845 077 9657
0845 030 5734
0845 272 5721
0845 634 2578
0845 274 6875
0845 1666 325
0845 050 3687
0845 128 6979
0845 404 1730
0845 077 9576
Li Yen Lim
0845 050 3668
0845 404 1757
0845 128 7955
0845 050 3669
0845 030 5801
0845 272 5710
0845 274 6921
0845 077 9582
01865 781 004
0186 578 1057
01865 781 023
0845 050 3260
0845 272 5671
0845 274 6841
0845 073 8583
0845 077 9578
Inheritance Act Claims, are standstill agreements a thing of the past?Articles 21st Mar 2019
How to effectively manage the risk of being sued for your businessArticles 1st Feb 2019
Dispute Management: Promises, promises, promises…Articles 29th Jan 2019
"Once again, thank you. You [Simon Hobbs] and Farheen have been a huge support throughout this wretched matter. I am exceedingly grateful for your calm, professional and wise counsel from the outset and to the finality of last night. On balance, I got pretty much what I had hoped for so as far as I am concerned, we have achieved success."
"Philippa is regarded as a Leader in the field of Dispute Resolution by Chambers and Business Experts. Sources say the ‘absolutely excellent’ Philippa Dempster provides an ‘amazing service for her clients’."
"Thank you for your efforts this week. In a world where law firms experience bad press and excellent customer service is rare, it is refreshing to see an organisation that is proactive and able to exceed expectations; you have clearly managed both."
(Managing Director/Owner of Winston Joinery Group)
"I have worked with Graham for many years in all aspects of insolvency work. His advice is always commercial and to the point."
(Philip Lyon (Partner), Mazars LLP)
"Simon Hobbs (Band 2 Thames Valley) maintains his reputation as a 'serious player' in the market. He is described by clients as 'technically very sound' and 'quick to grasp issues'. He focuses on shareholder, professional negligence, contract and IP-related litigation."
(Chambers & Partners, 2016)
"At Freeths, managing partner Mukesh Patel leads the commercial litigation practice, which continues to act for national and international clients in a wide range of mandates, including construction, insurance, and financial services disputes, as well as property litigation and insolvency litigation."
(Chambers & Partners, 2019)
"Having engaged the services of Richard Coates and his team over the past 30 months to support me with a number of commercial legacy issues I inherited I can highly recommend him. He is not only fiercely strategic and crucially proactive but also objective and pragmatic. He is without doubt the solicitor you should have on your team."
Sources say that the team "punches above its weight" in the field of litigation. Interviewees further report that the team is "diligent and on top of things."
(Chambers & Partners, 2019)
"...vast depth of experience and knowledge together with his calm and considered demeanour inspires complete confidence in his abilities."
(The Legal 500, 2019)
"Charles Powell has a strong mediation practice which centres on partnership, professional negligence, banking and other commercial claims. One market source states: ‘He is very professional, approachable and personable. He is hands-on and pushes in the right direction.’ He is often instructed on particularly contentious matters where relations between parties are acrimonious."
(Chambers & Partners, 2017)
- Successfully defended Eurobet UK Ltd in a claim in the High Court for £650k, made by an on-line Italian gambler. The large win by this gambler was the result of a software ‘bug’. The case, which was widely reported in both the national and international media, made The Telegraph’s Top 10 biggest computer failure cases that year.
- Acting for Philips Electronics and Philips Pension Trustees in bringing £300 million claims against Aon Hewitt and AllianceBernstein, for the negligent design and implementation of the pension fund’s investment strategy in 2007. The claim follows on from an earlier claim for £100 million, which Louise acted on against Hewitt in relation to actuarial negligence, which settled successfully following a second mediation.
- Defending a substantial claim issued in the High Court in London relating to the supply of defective fabric by a Turkish company. The case involved a complex paper trail and issues such as security for costs. We had to adopt a robust defence and pursue security for costs, because the claim was spurious and because of its impact on a family run business with many High Street retailers.
- Acting for multiple claimants in a shareholders’ dispute involving a detailed analysis of director’s fiduciary duties in relation to 40% of the equity (with an estimated value of £80 million) in a maritime engineering and naval architecture company in the High Court’s Chancery Division. The case settled on very favourable terms to our clients.
- Currently advising several hundred Sub-postmasters in a High Court Group Action against Post Office Ltd in relation to the Horizon accounting software.
- Acted for Developer threatened with suspension and termination by Design & Build Contractor in works relating to the refurbishment of office premises to residential use. Contractor in delay, fire safety issues to be resolved. Contractor claimed over £2 million. Developer client could not afford to terminate Contractor, however strong the case, because of the longstop date exposure to funders. Dispute resolved by contract variation on “nuisance” terms within 26 days of instruction.
- Mediated in a dispute concerning breach of fiduciary duty against the First Defendant; a debt claim against the Second Defendant and a Petition for relief under s.994 of the Companies Act 2006. The issues in the matter were complex but we were able to achieve a settlement on the day of the mediation.
- Acted for two clients who were due to inherit the deceased’s residuary estate; worth £1.5 million. This was in connection with defending a challenge to the validity of the deceased’s last will on the grounds of lack of capacity and want of knowledge and approval. We secured a very favourable settlement for them, where the disputed will was admitted to probate.
- Successfully resisted a £2 million+ unusual mutual wills case, where it was alleged that because of that mutual will, our client held his late wife’s estate on trust for the claimant (a non-family member). Complex company and estate issues arose, given (i) our client’s 100% shareholding in estate companies and the claimant’s position as director in them; and (ii) the fact that our client and the claimant were joint executors of the late wife’s will. A settlement was reached prior to trial whereby a small % of the £2 million was paid, including costs.
- Acting for a Nigerian oil corporation in ICC proceedings involving complex jurisdictional and res judicata issues. This involved successfully convincing the Tribunal to find that no jurisdiction existed for the Claimant to bring the claim, bringing the international and domestic arbitration actions issued against her client to an early conclusion.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014