Nick Kelly is a commercial dispute resolution lawyer with a broad range of experience dealing with commercial disputes acting for both Claimant and Defendant.
Nick has significant experience dealing with professional negligence claims involving solicitors, brokers, accountants, barristers and other professionals, as well as acting in relation to contractual disputes, shareholder disputes, construction litigation, disputes relating to property, claims made against company officers, and insurance litigation more generally.
Nick also provides advice on coverage issues relating to insurance policies.
Commercial Dispute Resolution
Nick has extensive expertise acting in relation to claims against solicitors including claims arising out of negligently drafted wills, trust documents, documents relating to finance and security for loans, as well as claims relating to the negligent conduct of litigation.
Nick undertook 2 secondments at a major international insurer giving him a thorough understanding of insurers’ attitude to risk and settlement and their internal working processes.
- acting for pension trust administrators in relation to a £30m claim arising out of an allegedly negligent amendment to a pension trust deed.
- Successful defence of a claim for c. £1.2m against a solicitor relating to allegedly negligent conduct of litigation relating to miss-selling of interest rate swaps.
Property Disputes and Construction
Nick has also acted in relation to professional negligence claims relating to construction professionals including architects, engineers and surveyors.
Nick has acted in relation to boundary disputes, disputes involving rights of way, adverse possession claims, claims relating to easements, party wall act claims, matters relating to property damage incurred as a result of third-party actions, in addition to landlord and tenant matters.
- Nick acted for a major food manufacturer and successfully obtained a settlement of c .1 million euros for loss of profits stemming from a negligently manufactured alternator that caused shut down of a manufacturing plant.
- Obtained mandatory injunctions requiring the removal of trees causing subsidence damage to a listed church.
- Acted for planning consultants in relation to the allegedly negligent submission of a planning application to operate an open cast coal mine.
Directors and officers
Nick has experience in dealing with claims brought against directors in their personal capacity stemming from actions carried out as an officer of a company, minority shareholder disputes, allegations of dishonesty.
Nick acted for various UK universities in relation to employment claims and claims relating to alleged discrimination in the provision of education under the equality Act 2010.
Commercial Contract Disputes
Nick has acted in relation to substantial contractual disputes.
- Nick acted for designers relating to ownership of the intellectual property in the design and coding of a virtual reality training platform.
- Acted for a major entertainment and sports company in relation to a breach of contract claim relating to the acts booked to perform at a music festival
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014