Energy & Waste
Powerful solutions for your business
What is involved?
Freeths is one of few law firms in the UK with a dedicated Energy & Waste practice.
We act for a wide variety of clients in the energy and waste sectors, at all stages of the project lifecycle. Our clients include developers, equity and debt investors, contractors, large energy consumers, utilities (including licensed water suppliers) and other energy suppliers, local government, landlords and occupiers, energy services companies (ESCOs), aggregators and optimisation service providers. On the waste side we act for some of the UK’s major waste and re-usables companies, both private and public, including waste disposal authorities, waste collectors, transfer station operators, hauliers, brokers, and operators of all types of waste treatment facility including energy-from-waste.
Additionally, we help clients in all sectors to decarbonise, improve their sustainability, reduce their energy consumption and emissions, manage their waste, and address the ‘green agenda’.
Our wider Infrastructure and Project Finance group advises on all types of infrastructure projects, at all stages of the project lifecycle from planning, procurement, financing, construction, operation and exit strategy.
Why choose Freeths?
Our Energy & Waste team includes specialists across a broad range of legal practice areas including:
- Commercial contracts
- Property and planning
- Corporate, banking and project finance
- Dispute resolution
- Public procurement
- Environment and waste regulation
- Health and safety
Energy & Utilities
We have a genuine in-depth knowledge of the energy sector, with particular expertise in renewable energy, low carbon generation and innovative/smart solutions. Our experience includes:
- energy-from-waste (including anaerobic digestion, biomass, gasification and biomethane injection)
- batteries and other energy storage technologies
- rooftop and ground-mounted solar PV
- onshore and offshore wind
- combined heat and power (CHP)
- electric vehicles and EV charging infrastructure
- onshore and offshore electricity networks (including private wires)
- smart metering
- peaking plant
- virtual power plants
- bulk water supply and discharge agreements
- New Appointment Variations
- S.104 adoptions
- LNG supply agreements
- energy services and energy performance contracting (including ESCO frameworks)
- power purchase agreements (including corporate PPAs)
- district heating schemes
- electricity and heat supply contracts
- optimisation service contracts
- energy industry regulation (including clean energy subsidies, low carbon incentives and licensing)
- balancing/ancillary services (including the capacity market)
- distributed generation, asset aggregation and portfolio optimisation
- grid connections and private networks
- PFI, PPP and joint venture structures
Energy & Waste Lawyers
0845 030 5747
0845 272 5712
0845 073 8584
0845 126 3775
0207 440 5849
0845 128 6958
0845 126 4379
0845 030 5824
0845 030 5793
0845 271 6751
0186 578 1168
0845 050 3203
0845 404 1754
0845 128 7995
0845 634 1725
0845 017 10922
0845 030 5759
0845 404 1739
0845 030 5734
0845 050 3687
0845 128 6950
0845 017 1122
0845 128 6997
0845 073 8552
0845 030 5743
0845 634 2579
0845 128 6995
0845 404 1727
Kirstin Roberts MCIWM
0845 166 6299
0845 126 4366
0845 017 1133
Malin Svanberg Larsson
0845 166 6335
0845 077 9560
0845 274 6820
0845 128 6957
0845 166 6337
0845 030 5739
0845 271 6797
0845 077 9578
Are you ready for ESOS and SECR?Articles 10th Sep 2019
Freeths Solar and Energy LuncheonPast Events 7th Aug 2019
Real Estate Law Blog: Electric Vehicles – The Road To ZeroArticles 26th Jul 2019
"As a Developer and EPC Contractor for photovoltaic plants, we are delighted with the services provided by Freeths. They provide the full range of legal services we require throughout the development and construction phases, with a high quality standard and timely response. In a market as demanding as the photovoltaic market, Freeths is the reliable, flexible and solution-oriented partner we want to have by our side."
(Developer and EPC Contractor, solar PV projects)
"First rate partner led service. Freeths has expertise in all areas relating to energy projects and provide their services seamlessly from their network of offices."
(Developer and funder of wind and solar PV projects)
"The Freeths Energy Team provides an excellent and responsive service. They have all the necessary experience and expertise to cover our legal requirements as EPC and O&M Contractors and as we expand our business in the UK."
(Major international contractor undertaking solar, gas and diesel generation and battery storage projects in the UK)
"The team at Freeths have the necessary experience and expertise to advise on complex district heating projects from start to successful completion and do so in a commercial and proactive manner."
(Developer and installer of district heating schemes)
"Freeths has experience and knowledge in the energy sector, with the breadth of non-energy specific specialists to cover our needs from contracts to trademarks", the "'very capable, responsive, engaging, fun to work with, and excellent value for money."
(The Legal 500, 2020)
"Willing and able to accommodate commercial reality alongside legal 'best practice' in a way that makes life much more manageable."
(The Legal 500, 2020)
- Preparation and negotiation of documents for the development of an energy from waste facility; rail sidings agreements and associated documents; development funding documents (both by way of traditional forward funding and ground rent structures); hotel operating arrangements; mineral leases.
- Advising on the National Agreement for the Engineering Construction Industry (NAECI).
- Advised a leading provider of smart Pay As You Go energy on its standard terms of business. He also advised on its long-term (25-year) meter rental arrangements with a leading UK meter operator (and involving third party funding from a market leading investor).
- Advising a leading European supplier of LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) on its standard terms of business, ensuring compliance with supply licence requirements.
- Risk management review for owner of thermal power station in relation to the construction of a biomass facility.
- Advising a global player in the PV sector on $multimillion claims brought against them for allegedly defective modules installed at a solar farm. Avoiding formal arbitration proceedings was key to the client’s future restructuring plans, which impacted on the tactics for negotiation in order to achieve settlement on commercially acceptable terms.
- Advised a leading UK supermarket on the contract for the design, installation, testing and commissioning for roof top solar panels.
- Damage to infrastructure that transports both gas and electricity often involves multiple parties and legal issues. These range from the liability of main and subcontractors to potential claims in both contract and negligence. One claim involved a seven figure dispute with three parties and issues regarding liability and quantum.
- Acting for the shareholders in the sale of project company developer of Europe’s largest floating solar array on the Queen Elizabeth II reservoir.
- Representing solar developer clients on the site set up of solar farms, preparation of option agreements and lease documentation. Preparing certificates of title for funders for a shovel-ready site for onward sale.
- Advising on the sale of Loucetios Energy to an international investor group.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014