"Sarah Duffy is simply fantastic, she is super speedy, commercial, great at communicating and knows the law inside out. She is great with clients and other professionals alike, she cuts to the key points and looks to do a deal."
(The Legal 500, 2020)
Sarah specialises in agricultural and rural work, acting for farmers, landowners and landed estates.
Sarah’s work ranges from the acquisition, development and disposal of country estates, farms and bare agricultural land, to advice on Agricultural Holdings Act tenancies and farm business tenancies. She specialises in the acquisition and disposal of country estates and farms and is recommended as a leader in the field of agricultural & rural affairs by the Chambers & Partners legal directory. Sarah also has specific experience of rural property development to include residential, commercial and renewable projects. Sarah qualified in 2007 and was made a partner in 2015.
Sarah is listed as a Leading Individual in Chambers (2018 edition) and is ranked as a Recommended Lawyer and Next Generation Partner in the Legal 500 (2020 edition).
- Hybrid promotion agreement of a 60 acre site incorporating provisions allowing part of the site to be sold on the open market and part to be acquired by the promoter.
- Unconditional sale of development land to include deferred consideration legal charge and complex overage provisions.
- Promotion agreement in respect of 60 acre site and subsequent sale for £34 million.
- Sale of 9 acre site to residential developer, conditional on planning permission being obtained.
- Sale of land for commercial development to include joint venture agreement.
- Acquisition of site to incorporate barn conversion and new build development to include the complex access relocation provisions.
Farms & Estates
Sarah is a leading agricultural property practitioner, acting for large landed estates and landowners both locally and nationally. Her work covers the acquisition and disposal of farms and landed estates as well as Agricultural Holdings Act and farm business tenancy advice.
Sarah acts for landowners on development agreements such as Promotion Agreements and Option Agreements. Sarah also acts for smaller developers in connection with the acquisition of rural sites by way of Unconditional and Conditional Contracts and Option Agreements.
- The acquisition of a landed estate extending to 2,725 acres for a sum in excess of £27 million. Including Grade II* listed Hall, arable land comprising 6 farms let on a mixture of Agricultural Holdings Act tenancies and Farm Business Tenancies, woodland, commercial properties and numerous residential properties. Advised on title and tenancy issues and identified SDLT savings.
- Disposal of four farms totalling 500 acres following voluntary registration of complex title.
- Disposal of a farm to include complex surrender of Agricultural Holdings Act tenancy.
- The acquisition of an arable farm for a sum in excess of £8.4 million including Grade II* listed Manor House, yard with development potential and agricultural buildings and incorporating the grant of a Farm Business Tenancy between exchange and delayed completion.
- A £12.6 million refinance of farm, dairy unit and farm cottages to include redemption of existing charges over 1850 acres and four new charges over 650 acres.
- Agricultural Law Association
- Country Landowners Association
“Sarah’s professional expertise inspires total confidence and she is unfailingly diligent, quick and efficient. That must be the perfect combination of qualities for a property lawyer.”
“Difficult for me to praise Sarah highly enough for her outstanding work in obtaining a completion today against odds and insurmountable difficulties way beyond the normal course of events. It was outstandingly complicated from all angles.”
“Very well done Sarah, I do appreciate your hard work and ability to see when time is of the essence and rise to the occasion. I am seriously impressed, a rare and pleasant feeling for me! Very well done.”
“I am extremely grateful to you for your dedication and determination, at times against the odds, to bring this acquisition in to port on time.”
“How refreshing it is to have Sarah Duffy onside – she is so efficient and helpful and friendly.”
“Sarah’s patience in understanding the full picture and her hard work were key to helping us navigate the complexities of resolving our estate. Amazing moral support – huge thanks.”(Client)
“Looks for solutions not problems.”(The Legal 500, 2015)
“Applauded for her ‘very thorough approach’. ‘She has been absolutely excellent and unearthed issues which had not been spotted by the other side,’ enthuses a client.”(Chambers & Partners, 2015)
“A ‘bright’ and ‘responsive’ agricultural property lawyer who impresses clients by ‘going the extra mile to help’. She regularly works with clients on large rural land transactions.”( Chambers & Partners, 2016)
“!…hugely efficient.”(The Legal 500, 2019)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014